free website stats program Harley Davidson's Suggestion Box | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson's Suggestion Box

Of course, the oil temp gauge.

I would also like to see an oil filter location that allows for some spillage so we don't have to use aluminum foil to keep the oil off of the motor mounts and the front of the engine as a whole. Maybe a vertically mounted type you could get at from the bottom?

I would also like to some some sort of isolators or something on the tour pack so they don't toss everything around inside quite so bad.

Make some of the more popular things options from the factory. Like the automotive industry does. Oil cooler, riders back rest, seat options and the like. They can still make their money as it would be additional costs, but we could get our bikes closer right out of the crate.

I forgot one!

An on board pump for the rear touring shocks.

Okay, I think I am done now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wear a size 12 boot. On the models such as my Roadking and Deluxe, make the transmission shifting arms longer, so that I can put my foot completely on the footboard when I'm riding, instead of placing it on the footboard at an angle. The present shifting arms are for folk with "hoofs". :lolrolling But I get by.

They can. But I bet there are more people that enjoy the sound than don't. Take away that sound, and then people will complain about the rough idle. Once they "fix" the rough idle, people will want them water cooled because the Heat is just too much for them to handle.

To me a Large portion of owning a Harley is the sound. Lets face it, a Harley is not the fastest. They don't keep up in the corners like a metric. They are not as reliable as a metric. They are more expensive than most metric bikes. I thought people that wanted a Smooth, Quiet, Reliable bike just went out a bought a Honda Goldwing. You got me on this one.??

No problem with some sound, but with the excessive noise that is frequently heard on engagement. You can not engage two moving metal masses that are not synchronized properly without some damage occuring. It may not be a lot, but it builds up over time.

Randall I wear a size 15 boot. Get yourself one of the rear shift levers with the folding peg. Works great.
kemo

No problem with some sound, but with the excessive noise that is frequently heard on engagement. You can not engage two moving metal masses that are not synchronized properly without some damage occuring. It may not be a lot, but it builds up over time.

You do make a good point that I fully understand. It is probably dumb on my part but I love the sound of moving machinery. For me, one of the more compelling reasons why I choose a Harley was the total sound of the bike. The shaking idle, the lope of the engine firing, the clash of the gears, the whine of the tranny, the throaty sound of the pipes was a big reason why I choose Harley. Take that away, and for me any Brand bike would do.

In most cases when the parts that engage gears in a transmission go bad, the transmission will pop out of gear when under hard acceleration. I may be wrong but that does not seem to be a big issue from what I can see.
Besides, without the "clank" how would you know a Harley just went by without looking at at?:)

Hoop!

I know HD is not gonna change anything that affects profits, so how about this petty gripe. Why does the "check engine" light icon represent a CAR engine? I think more HD riders know what a Vtwin engine looks like than they do a car engine. It must be some universal symbol thing required by big brother. :33:

that sorta bothered me too. I would like to see a v-twin up there in the light. some times it's just the little things that get ya.

I agree with water-cooling. Not necessarily for more power and performance, although that's a nice by-product, but in order to keep our v-twin power-plant viable. Like, Porsche, I believe HD will soon, if they haven't already, find they've pushed the air-cooled about as far as they can without going to some really hi-tech materials. EPA requirements will only get stiffer, resulting in leaner and leaner AFRs required to meet them.

"Harley - Davidsons are a premium product. Saving a few pennies here and there resulting in diminishing quality is counter productive." No truer words were ever written. Although I might have phrased some of the things in TLMitchell's response differently, that is exactly what H-D designers need to remember about the brand. It's the Cadillac of bikes. I'd much rather pay $1,000 more for a product I know is well-made and built from quality components versus reducing the cost $50 for more margin for MoCo, but using a less-reliable, cheaper item.

Thought of a couple of more things "out of the box." On fairing equipped bikes with windscreens how about a HUD system to project key engine parameters, entertainment system status, and maybe even navigation info onto that massive windscreen? Would keep the rider's head up and looking out versus down to see what's going on with the bike. Finally, why can't MoCo build-in water bottle or cup-holders for the big baggers? I have yet to find a satisfactory after-market solution to this problem for my Ultra-Classic. They interfere with something no matter how they're mounted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back