free website stats program Harley Davidson's Suggestion Box | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson's Suggestion Box

Agree with TL except for the bit about AMF...HD thinking is like it was PRIOR to AMF taking over...thinking they were too big to fail (think GM here...) and the need ONLY to satisfy shareholders and status quo.

I would add to the idea of working on strength and reliability of existing components, cut down on the number of variations of the same model and work on getting a new line of..."--horror upon horrors"...a V-Rod engined or similar based line of touring machines before EPA and regulators force the air & oil cooled model into oblivion, as they have most every other manufacturer of air & oil cooled engines. You cannot just keep increasing displacement to compensate for leaned mixtures and subsequent horsepower loss which only produces less efficiency and more heat. The air and oil cooled VW Bug was the lesson to be learned here...it doubled in displacement before it faded...AND not just because it was ugly (it was)...the looks and reputation is what is carrying HD through now with it's ridership and following.

Last edited:
Most of these suggestions (oil cooler, oil temp gauge, premium tour pak hinges) are great ideas but they will never come standard. It would eliminate a huge money maker for the MoCo as everyone streams into the dealership the first six months to buy these very items in addition to better seats, handlebars, highway pegs, backrests, and other items which are borderline "necessary" for a fully functional and comfortable bike. Besides it's better to keep the basic price of the bikes down and let each individual buyer decide where their priorities lie. Some want bling, some want comfort, some want safety, some want performance, and on and on.

As far as the water cooled issue - no, no, no! If I had wanted that I would not have bought a Harley. I'm just now getting somewhat comfortable working on this bike and I really don't want the added complexity of the whole water cooling system. More power would be nice but it's not worth it to me to get it at the expense of abandoning the whole air cooled, V twin history of HD.

Now, I guess I should address the OP. To me, I'd simply like to see better quality parts throughout, and I'm not really even talking about internal engine/transmission components. Too many stories of torx bolts and fairing bushings stripping out for my comfort.

"As far as the water cooled issue - no, no, no! If I had wanted that I would not have bought a Harley. I'm just now getting somewhat comfortable working on this bike and I really don't want the added complexity of the whole water cooling system. More power would be nice but it's not worth it to me to get it at the expense of abandoning the whole air cooled, V twin history of HD.

Dr. D...I was not plotting the demise of A/C HD engines or replacing them, I said to add a new line to keep the marque going. If you just keep increasing displacement to get power out of a strangled motor...all your going to get is major heat as you are using more fuel and air requiring provisions to lean it out even more to push more weight to compensate...a losing proposition.:no I do not want to high jack this thread so...

Need to continue following technology but at the same time keep the basic models intact...HD owners always modify them to their liking anyway. Going to the Nightster and Low models is the right direction to attract younger new riders and Sportster is a good fit to work on entry level highly efficient models....lighter, stronger materials, even a steel w/alloy subframe design would not be outrageous here and going back to fundamentals to establish reliability would be good.

Last edited:
Dr. D...I was not plotting the demise of A/C HD engines or replacing them, I said to add a new line to keep the marque going. If you just keep increasing displacement to get power out of a strangled motor...all your going to get is major heat as you are using more fuel and air requiring provisions to lean it out even more to push more weight to compensate...a losing proposition.

Actually, my post was being written as yours went up. Mine was not a response to yours in any way. Good idea to simplify the model offerings overall and then introduce the option of a more powerful, water cooled engine, probably beginning with the Touring family.

Eliminate the ambiant temp guage and replace it with an oil temp guage on touring models.

Also like to see some sort of a glove box incorporated into the batwing fairing.
Absolutely, and make it a "Mission Statement" to eliminate at all cost the condensation in all the gauges! I mean, c'mon they can't get this right?

being some one who actually likes to ride hard i would like a nice strong lighter crank that does not twist or have all the other inherent issues of a press fit crank (buells have them why not HD), lose the tiresome bearing less housings and put some nice taper needle bearings in there, fit a good strong oil pump and cooler, basically make the motor stronger and stop them leaking, OH and lets not forget that bug bear they call the Transmission, mine has less than 7000miles and sounds like its about to let go - yes i have Spectro in there and dealer has checked it and says its fine - this is on a 09 Bob!!!
i have not suffered these issues but when i get to go BIG i will have rectify these issues my self - New pinned and weld and end over end balanced and lightened Crank, better oil pump, new bearing faces and anything else that can be strengthened then bin the HD Tranny and fit an Baker or similar, and my biggest gripe - QUALITY were has it gone all the non protected alloy is appalling do they not realise it will cost them more in warranty claims than to do the job properly in the first place - protect that bare alloy mainly - 2009 touring wheels mine lasted 1 month before becoming pitted and black
:(

Thats your only complaints?:lolrolling

I think the Hob should be a test rider for these tractors. Maybe then we would get a better built bike. :D

My two cents worth:

I agree with Hobbit on the crank. The ones in the TCs are an embarrassment!

I agree with the gang about the gauges not fogging up, and putting an oil temp standard on the Touring bikes

I would like a designed in "missing link"

Can HD do something to get the rotor and stator out of a metal particle slurry?

Replace the cheap INA bearings with high quality ones like the Torringtons

Locking system for the compensator nut?

Better sound system on the Touring bikes

Has the neck bearing grease fitting been moved on the new bikes? What about sealed bearings instead?

Just a few.

TQ

Most of these suggestions (oil cooler, oil temp gauge, premium tour pak hinges) are great ideas but they will never come standard. It would eliminate a huge money maker for the MoCo as everyone streams into the dealership the first six months to buy these very items in addition to better seats, handlebars, highway pegs, backrests, and other items which are borderline "necessary" for a fully functional and comfortable bike. Besides it's better to keep the basic price of the bikes down and let each individual buyer decide where their priorities lie. Some want bling, some want comfort, some want safety, some want performance, and on and on.

As far as the water cooled issue - no, no, no! If I had wanted that I would not have bought a Harley. I'm just now getting somewhat comfortable working on this bike and I really don't want the added complexity of the whole water cooling system. More power would be nice but it's not worth it to me to get it at the expense of abandoning the whole air cooled, V twin history of HD.

Now, I guess I should address the OP. To me, I'd simply like to see better quality parts throughout, and I'm not really even talking about internal engine/transmission components. Too many stories of torx bolts and fairing bushings stripping out for my comfort.

The way I see it DOC...The only way they keep us buying there sub par junk is to start addressing these small issues.You can buy a Jap tourer making 100+ rear wheel hp at a fraction of an Ultras cost.Look up this years perenial favorite tourer according to any reputal bike magazine {barring ez rider}and youll find its not a Harley.

Water cooled is here to stay and kicking Harleys butt in terms of performance. If they dont get with the program they will be left behind.

Dont get me wrong I love my USA/JAPAN/made in CHINA Harley.Only saying there buying public is 40ish and not nearly as nieve as they think we are.

Back