free website stats program Harley Davidson's Suggestion Box | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson's Suggestion Box

MOST DEFINEATLEY!!!:small3d018:
Maine-e-axe, Captkirkis -- Cut an 32 oz Cranberry or Apple juice bottle about halfway down (saving the top cap portion) tapering down to the bottom so it can slide under the filter and partly up the front side to use as reservoir and this little windage tray can be used over and over...no oil mess. See similar thread below...no messy oil spills.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/members_tips_for_easy_maintenance/18430-oil_filter_oil_catch.html

DSCN0789-1.jpg

But quite honestly, MOCO could have easily put in a sight glass instead of the Derby cover removal system to check the oil level...even old Chevy rear differentials had an access hole you just reached in with finger to check level...sheesh!

Last edited:
Put in a properly made crank and decent bearings--we'll pay a bit more for those.

Install an oil temp gauge in the touring models-- I know its a "Harley Tax" marketing thing but that air temp gauge is crap and should be embarrasing to the MoCo as well as me.

Get rid of those flimsy cheap and nasty TourPak hinges. Every time I open the TP I feel ill knowing that I have a great ride with junk hinges-- cheapens the whole experience.

Put on short antennaes to start with on the touring models. What's with the whippy ones--why? (we know why-- the Harley tax)

How about an accurate fuel gauge?

That's about it for now-- will think of more after I post this I'm sure...

Cheers,
AR

Put in a properly made crank and decent bearings--we'll pay a bit more for those.

Install an oil temp gauge in the touring models-- I know its a "Harley Tax" marketing thing but that air temp gauge is crap and should be embarrasing to the MoCo as well as me.

Get rid of those flimsy cheap and nasty TourPak hinges. Every time I open the TP I feel ill knowing that I have a great ride with junk hinges-- cheapens the whole experience.

Put on short antennaes to start with on the touring models. What's with the whippy ones--why? (we know why-- the Harley tax)

How about an accurate fuel gauge?

That's about it for now-- will think of more after I post this I'm sure...

Cheers,
AR

I knew I'd think of another one!

Why do the Touring lines with the intercom have a comms cable as big and stiff as a 440v electrical cable? Get rid of it and put on a decent strong but light cable on that system!

Why do the Touring lines with the intercom have a comms cable as big and stiff as a 440v electrical cable? Get rid of it and put on a decent strong but light cable on that system!

Gotta agree with this one Brent. Also, I wonder if they have ever heard of a new fangled thing called "Bluetooth".

Neil

Move the bag support and muffler slightly on the RKC so you don't have to disassemble all of that to remove the rear axel shaft, to change a tire.

Fuel tank door on FL's that hinges from the front of the tank and gets out of the way when gassing up.
Craig

Why not a wireless system?

My 56 Pan clunked when it went into gear, my 72 Sportster clunked when it went into gear, and my 06 Deuce clunks when it goes into gear.

I know some of us like the sound, but come on..in 54 years Harley can't make a trans that doesn't sound like a trans on an old Buick?? It can still be a Harley and have a quiet trans.

And, what's with the teflon chain tensioner that self destructs and causes major damage to the whole engine? They can't figure a better way to do it without charging extra for a 'kit'.

That's about it for my suggested improvements. I'd probably have more if I rode a different model though.

Srf506 - Leatherneck Jims and others have a "clip over" cupholder/storage pocket for leather saddlebags top cover slips over...and can be had in studs, conchos whatever...! Sometimes HD does not have the marketing research dollars to compete with the aftermarket coming up with ideas first...

But I would say that having a fully equipped top of the line product is how the Japanese first marketed their "economy cars"...to give the customer more options (read "value" as standard at a great price)...verses the Big Three original marketing approach, offer a cheap base model minus everything, from the bottom up, and maybe put the best only on the premium model/brands. Well the fate of the Hummer, BIG Caddys & Lincolns come to mind..."Think we would have learned from that one?" :lolrolling

Last edited:
Back