free website stats program Harley Davidson's Suggestion Box | Page 8 | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson's Suggestion Box

I'd like a cigar lighter on touring bikes that HD says can be used to charge cell phones, etc. It's 2009 for gosh sakes![/QUOTE
=================================================
Did they discontinue the lighter on 2008 & newer touring bikes? Or is it just standard on certain models? My 2007 E.G. Classic has one on the left lower inside of fairing. Or is it not recommended for charging a phone? :33:

Last edited:
Is the socket too loose to ground the adapter. I know in the RV the 12 volt power socket is a smidgen different size than a regular cig lighter socket.

I for one am not nuts about a water cooled touring bike it will end up being like a gold wing a car on two wheel all covered up in plastic and a monster to work on. If you think HD is expensive to work on check out what your GW friends pay makes my HD look low cost all the way.
The Nova Idea could fly today with a few moden adjustments
Even a few small version like a 250-500 to feed the beginner market and the just a short hop around town rides that have no option other than metric right now.

I agree to disagree...V-Rod and Drag Specialties kits make a tourer out of a V-Rod or other similar aftermarket kit makers. True, the Nova idea could also be made to work, but the real question is just WHEN...? The technology does not HAVE to be complicated or even that NEW in order to work without too many nits. Hey, they finally got the Tri-Glide off the ground...why wait for the marketing niche to close? :33:

Not interested in improving cigar lighters or sound systems. The Ultra glide the street Glide, the Road King, The street bob the night train the fatboy, heritage etc... Harley needs to get back to basics. What made the motorcycle not only famous but the name synonymous with quality, strength and SIMPLICITY.

HD needs to clean up those little things like that weak, throw away crank. Give us back our rebuildable bikes, not a collection of the lowest bidder's useless one-time use (EDIT). Lose about a dozen of those models and sub models. Put a FXR, a FLH and a Softail out there, Let the rider customize it himself with optional (or even aftermarket) equipment. Build them strong and simple. The catalog of extras and bling doesn't have to change, but stop wasting time and energy on all these showroom customs; concentrate on good reliable machinery. Give me back the five piece crank, tighten up your lower-end specs and tolerances (again) get back to being a machine that has pride built into it from the inside out. Figuring how to raise the ports a tad would go a long way to improving the intake tract from inlet to valve, give use a bit more tq across the range, possibly improve mileage too!

I don;t care where you buy your parts but make sure they are upto the job and meet stringent specifications Harley charges an arm & a leg for these things and their customers deserve to highest quality on the planet. Right now their getting bling and excuses.

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know what the DOT would say, but I'd like turn signals that can be CUSTOMER toggled from auto canceling to 100% manual and back. (Haven't run across an auto system that I liked yet)

The SE Compensator should be standard on all the 96 ci and bigger engines. What a wonderful difference that made. Why design the primary chain case so that the alternator rotor can't be removed without having to loosen the chain case or do some minor surgery?

Since a belt can be taken out by foreign object damage at any time with no warning, I'd also like to see an easy access panel or plug on the back of the chain case allowing for belt and/or pulley change without having to do major dis-assembly. I figure the present setup is left over from chain drive and a chain could be "worried" in there but there is no master link on the belt.

My local dealer won't sell me the rear axle nut wrench so I don't have to remove the mufflers when adjusting the belt, shop tool only according to them. I am finding many tools in the after market, that one and the drive line alignment tools. Too bad Harley doesn't see an opportunity to supply the "do it yourselfer" with some advanced equipment. We are going to do it anyway, so not making the tools easily available only sends our money elsewhere.

I only have 17,000 miles on an 08 Road King so I don't know about all of the long term durability problems yet, but even with the little annoyances above, I sure love the scooter.

Since a belt can be taken out by foreign object damage at any time with no warning, I'd also like to see an easy access panel or plug on the back of the chain case allowing for belt and/or pulley change without having to do major dis-assembly. I figure the present setup is left over from chain drive and a chain could be "worried" in there but there is no master link on the belt.

My local dealer won't sell me the rear axle nut wrench so I don't have to remove the mufflers when adjusting the belt, shop tool only according to them. I am finding many tools in the after market, that one and the drive line alignment tools. Too bad Harley doesn't see an opportunity to supply the "do it yourselfer" with some advanced equipment. We are going to do it anyway, so not making the tools easily available only sends our money elsewhere

An access panel wouldn't help, the belt has to go over the end of the main shaft, and the clutch assy. is on the end of that shaft.
HD-47925 is the axle nut tool, order it from another dealer. For $42, I'll loosen my muffler to torque the nut. :D

Hello, What I have been saying all along, HD's are too small for anyone 5' 10" or over. My cousin who is 5' 2" was on his ride the other day (Softail Deuce) and I said to myself that bike is made for him, sure like to know what THAT feels like. Moose

How about just putting PRIDE in your products? PRIDE will take you a long way. (the riders and the MOCO) Does the CEO come from China or the U.S. Goverment couse it sure looks like they DON'T care about no one but themselfs. I think Willie G's wallets gettin so fat he can't see around it when he pulls his head out of his (never mind):57:

Amen to a quieter transmission!! I am almost embarrassed to shift into first gear at a light, and most of the time the rest of the gears are just as loud. I cannot believe that that clunk isn't causing some type of damage.

THAT IS WHY I USE REDLINE "SHOCKPROOF HEAVY"

NO metal to metal contact.....

never ever ANY metal on magnetic plug...

HD should NOT HAVE offered an oil that DOESN"T work in ALL 3 HOLES....

WHO THOUGHT UP THAT IDEA AND BUYING FROM HUGO?.....

VERY UN-AMERICAN!!!!

signed....BUBBIE

Back