free website stats program Who here rides in the Rain? | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Who here rides in the Rain?

I know I'm weird, but I don't wear any rain gear. I get too sweaty and uncomfortable wearing it. Also, can never time it right, I either pull over and put it on only to swelter while the storm passes by OR figure the storm will pass and get soaked. Now I just ride through it and dry off ASAP.

Ditto, ditto, ditto, and ditto to the guys who will NOT ride in the rain.

After 40+ years of riding, I feel pretty comfortable on two wheels, but I only needed ONE accident in the rain to convince me it isn't what I want to ever do again.

Let's face it. We ride for pleasure. (Most of us....I do realize some of us ride to work and some even only have a bike for transportation, but those are rare exceptions.)

It just is NOT fun to be stressed out, and I am stressed out in the rain.

Look, I am not going to play at being a "tough guy" like some folks. (NONE of them HDTimeline members, let me point that right out!)

I don't want to die yet. I want to watch my kids become happy and successful men, and I want to love and spoil some grandchildren someday!

I want to take care of the woman who makes me complete, when someday she needs me to take care of her as she has always taken care of me.

I don't want to be the victim of some idiot cager who says "I'm so sorry....I didn't see him in this RAIN!" (As if they see us in ANY weather!)

I don't want to be the victim of some slippery corner I didn't expect to slide out from under me as I leaned into the curve in the downpour.

Life is already hard without such risks. Why make it even harder by taking a risk that takes the pleasure out of something we're only doing for pleasure in the first place?

Amen! :D

If its raining I wont run out into the garage to head out on a ride, but if I'm on a trip I will ride in anything.

Up here in the Northeast, like other places, if you don't ride in the rain you don't ride. For forty years I've never let the rain stop me if I had somewhere to go. I've suffered with soggy leathers, Harley rubber suits and thin Gore-tex. Last year I switched to a good textile jacket and riding pants with liners, vents and waterproof membrane. Also waterproof duty style boots and waterproof gloves and now I'm comfortable in most any weather. after years of riding dirt bikes sliding around doesn't freak me out. Sometimes I will just go for a ride in the rain because it's different and helps keep my skills sharp.

For me it's a lot like playing golf. If it's raining I won't start a round or start the bike. If I'm in the middle of a round I'll try to finish, if I'm on the bike I continue to go where I'm going, pull over, put on the foul weather gear, slow down, and pay extra attention to the traffic around me. Don't particularly enjoy having to clean the bike afterwards.

I don't want to be the victim of some idiot cager who says "I'm so sorry....I didn't see him in this RAIN!" (As if they see us in ANY weather!)

I agree but with a caveat. It has been my personal experience that when I ride in the rain, many to most cagers and truckers give me much more room and consideration. I say this because typically in the MD/DC/VA area people are pretty rude and inconsiderate drivers. They tend to give much more space than even I would think is necessary and the tailgating is GONE.

In my head, I tell myself that the lightbulb actually goes on in their head when they see a rider all geared up in bad weather and rather than assuming that we have gobs of power and sticky tires, they think (for once) we are actually pretty vulnerable on the roads.

I won't presume it is the same in all areas.

Hate it! Even on a good day Oklahoma drivers are the worst. If you're here and driving in the rain you'd might as well be heading to the morgue cause that's where you're ending up anyway...and you'll be closer to it!

It depends on how long it's been since I've had my riding "fix" and how clean the bike is factors in also. It does add a level of stress depending on the types of roads and traffic though. Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do!:Banane30:

Back