free website stats program fretting and metal erosion on stock compensator | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

fretting and metal erosion on stock compensator

It's the 2011 models that come stock with the SE comps. Unless you or a prior owner installed the SE comp...you're safe :)

The 09 Rockers came with SE compensators from the factory. I took mine apart after 650 miles to see what it looked like. The boss and sprocket had some oil on them which they didn't have before I ground the grooves in the sprocket. I realize that 650 miles is too soon to tell how well the oil grooves work but I was in the primary to check out some other stuff so I took the comp sprocket off. It still made me feel better that some oil was on the boss instead of blowing red dust off it.

The 09 Rockers came with SE compensators from the factory. I took mine apart after 650 miles to see what it looked like. The boss and sprocket had some oil on them which they didn't have before I ground the grooves in the sprocket. I realize that 650 miles is too soon to tell how well the oil grooves work but I was in the primary to check out some other stuff so I took the comp sprocket off. It still made me feel better that some oil was on the boss instead of blowing red dust off it.

Geez,

That in its self Tells me that the Grooving will Help Solve the problemed fretting...
Oil still inside after that many miles and still Not showing signs of the rust MIGHT be the needed information put on the other thread and site....
Getting their opinions and RE-posting them here..Good for all to hear..Even IF early on Results.....

I have listened to some saying ALL the oil they put on the SE when installed was DRY within a few hundred miles After it was Check EARLY and yours was still Lubed..

signed....BUBBIE

I thought 650 miles might be too early to say it has fixed the problem but it's defiantly a step in the right direction. I'll probably take it apart after another 1000 miles to have a look. The bolts were only $4 that hold the unit on so it's not a big deal to re-check it.

That is Great news. Those 3 little grooves just may be the solution to this issue. Maybe it is wishful thinking but my primary sounds and feels better since I grooved that gear.

I bet you would like to know what the MOCO did to the new ones from the factory to eliminate this :D

I for one would..... SO From You I would believe:

???? Please so others Know.. Did they Groove it???

Or what did they do..... ?????

signed....BUBBIE

That is Great news. Those 3 little grooves just may be the solution to this issue. Maybe it is wishful thinking but my primary sounds and feels better since I grooved that gear.
Like you Hoople I think my primary runs smoother and I seem to have less vibrations on the footboards. Make sense if the sprocket can rock back and forth easier on a film of oil instead of fretting dust.
I bet you would like to know what the MOCO did to the new ones from the factory to eliminate this :D
I might have to find the part number of the 2011 compensators to see if they are different. If they are I would like to have a look at one to see what's been changed.

That's easy Glider. They said the problem doesn't exist! :D

Well aside from "they all do that" sometimes they have been known to fix a common problem....however they would never admit that there was a problem to start with because of liability issues
c6-raspberry.gif

Back