free website stats program fretting and metal erosion on stock compensator | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

fretting and metal erosion on stock compensator

Porter, there is a 10 page thread called SE compensator problems on this forum. Just type in the search forum box and you'll find several threads on the subject.

IMO, the stock compensator on a heavy touring bike, as used from 2007-2010, is garbage. There was a definate need for something stronger.....thus the SE Compensator. I put mine in and consider it to be the best mod I have done.
It cured the hard banging on startup and a lot of the other problem chattering and lurching that was being experienced on the heavier bikes.

With that said, Lets address the "fretting - galling - lack of lube" issue....

Sorry guys but I'm just not buying into it. I think folks are making a lot more out of this than what it warrents.
I put the SE compensator on my 07 when it first came out and after 43,000 miles I have had zero problems.
And NO....I am not pulling the primary back apart to look.

I see the type of "fretting" you are talking about......I've seen that same type in many mechanical applications, more times than I can count....the one I can think of right off the top of my head is in the planetary gears of a Cat powershift transmission.
Point is....I have never seen a failure that could be directly attributed to this ...That's never!...as in 30plus years of looking at this stuff from the working end of things.

Y'all do as you wish but as for me....I'll run it as I have been since I put the SE Compensator in.

If you can find eventually find that pic I would appreciate it.
If the groves are in the correct rotation direction, it seems like it should work while rotating.

I think the straight lined grooves would work better when the sitting still to allow oil to drip down inside, but may actually allow oil to be flung out, centrifugally, when spinning.

Thanks again, the photos really help me understand the issue!

Short of making Cups/angled-grooves to trap the oil to Go-Inside while IN MOTION... Working around centrifugal force is plenty tough to design something Workable in such a Small area.. If and that is "IF" you were to take out a little material on the groove on the front of the direction of motion (cupping it), That May pick up a little oil while spinning and allow it to get inside better.. I can see as TIGHT the SE Compensator is built (designed) it is a challenge to do More....
I think WHEN i have to go to the SE comp. I'll groove the engine side like shown off the post and on the other side Monkey where the lightly grooved washer is to allow some into that front area... That I'll post when and IF i get around to the SE Comp.

From all my reading here and on other forums, I think ANY changes that allow a Drop or two of oil will Help...

The MAIN problem with early worn-out stock compensators is (MO) Lugging the motor and hard hot-rodding will give the stock comp. and Early death..

Then on the NEW one, It is Not getting ANY lube inside causing Friction and Heat, resorting into the problems of Fretting..

signed....BUBBIE

Note to the Moderator staff:

IF this thread could get moved and placed on the end of the OTHER many page Thread (combined) that geezer started on SE comp problems....that Would Help Us keep information all together.. Thanks

It is titled "SE compensator problems" located under "transmission"

IMO, the stock compensator on a heavy touring bike, as used from 2007-2010, is garbage. There was a definate need for something stronger.....thus the SE Compensator. I put mine in and consider it to be the best mod I have done.
It cured the hard banging on startup and a lot of the other problem chattering and lurching that was being experienced on the heavier bikes.

With that said, Lets address the "fretting - galling - lack of lube" issue....

Sorry guys but I'm just not buying into it. I think folks are making a lot more out of this than what it warrents.
I put the SE compensator on my 07 when it first came out and after 43,000 miles I have had zero problems.
And NO....I am not pulling the primary back apart to look.

I see the type of "fretting" you are talking about......I've seen that same type in many mechanical applications, more times than I can count....the one I can think of right off the top of my head is in the planetary gears of a Cat powershift transmission.
Point is....I have never seen a failure that could be directly attributed to this ...That's never!...as in 30plus years of looking at this stuff from the working end of things.

Y'all do as you wish but as for me....I'll run it as I have been since I put the SE Compensator in.

Couldn't agree with you more! Sure hope we're right!

Yesterday when I went to start my scoot, it took 3 attempt for some reason and there was a loud "clack" that sounded like it was comming from the compensator. I have 43K on the clock and I have never had anything done to it (stock compensator).

Thanks for any help.:D

Porter,,, If it continues as a starting problem Could it be the battery???

I see your bike is an 07 and if the Original battery???

If your problem of 3 attempts was Low Cranking power, Just maybe the Bat. and nothing to do with the stock comp.

signed....BUBBIE

....thus the SE Compensator. I put mine in and consider it to be the best mod I have done.

Agree with the best mod yet and happy to hear about the 43,000 miles. Still keeping a close eye on the future of this situation.

Last edited by a moderator:

If your problem of 3 attempts was Low Cranking power, Just maybe the Bat. and nothing to do with the stock comp.

signed....BUBBIE

Dont forget about the starter/ ring gear problems with the 07 models just sayin

signed....BUBBIE

I know the battery won't last forever, but I keep it on a tender whenever I am not riding. This is the first time this has ever happened and I have had no issue the rest of this week while commuting. I will put a meter on the battery and check it though to check the simple stuff first.

Dont forget about the starter/ ring gear problems with the 07 models just sayin

I didn't know about this issues (and still don't) but I will look in the help section and do a search.

Thanks Jack and Bubbie!

I know the battery won't last forever, but I keep it on a tender whenever I am not riding. This is the first time this has ever happened and I have had no issue the rest of this week while commuting. I will put a meter on the battery and check it though to check the simple stuff first.

I didn't know about this issues (and still don't) but I will look in the help section and do a search.

Thanks Jack and Bubbie!

You may not find a lot of info on the starter and ring gear, THe MOCO had issues with the hardening of the gears and do not like to talk about it. Mine went bad with 2000 miles they replaced the whole clutch hub ring gear and clutches under warranty. I talked with the tech doing the work and he told me about the problems on the QT, he and I have a good relation and I trust him

Back