free website stats program fretting and metal erosion on stock compensator | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

fretting and metal erosion on stock compensator

I cut 3 good size oil grooves in my SE compensator about 6K miles ago. Pulled it apart just to check on how it was doing. There was plenty of new fret rust. The grooves seemed to not help at all. Formula + oil was used.
Back trying another new idea.

Cutting down the fiber thrust washer to match the face diameter of the sprocket and machining angled scoops in the sprocket retainer to rout some of the lube being cast off centrifugally to the groves is an idea. The last time I changed the Primary oil I didn't see any red. Also when I modified the sprocket retainer I polished the rough cam surfaces with a small drum sander. So far it's not giving me a problem.

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

Attachments

• compensator_02.jpg
    compensator_02.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 36
So far it's not giving me a problem.

I thought the same thing. You can't base it on the color of oil change because mine was immaculate and the compensator was packed with red fret rust. It was a let down because I had high hopes for the grooves.

This time around I cut 3 spiral grooves in the hub. That is exactly where the build-up was. Who knows, maybe it will help and let some oil in right where it is needed..

Attachments

• Hub 001.jpg
    Hub 001.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 45
Hoople,
I removed the outer primary to replace the chain tensioner with latest #.
I got a close up look at it.

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

I am just going to keep on drilling holes and grinding slots until something works because when that comp is clean of fret rust and is well lubed, the difference is like night and day. Take offs in 1st gear are so smooth. And it's not my imagination.

This is the second time I opened it up to clean out the compensator fret rust. The 1st time I wrote off the smoothness to my imagination. But now the second time,, I am sure.

Back