free website stats program fretting and metal erosion on stock compensator | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

fretting and metal erosion on stock compensator

they would never admit that there was a problem to start with because of liability issues

Absolutely. The line heading for the door would be longer than the one at Walmart on Christmas eve. Lets face it. How many new ideas actually are released in their perfected state from the get-go. Not many. All companies are allowed to make improvements without the liability to upgrade every unit in existence. Unless it is REALLY a safety issue and the government steps in..

This Kinda of reminds me of the 99 and early 1/2 year 2ooo TC motor with the problem Ball style rear cam drive bearing... HD Saying,Would not recall but would FIX after there was a problem BLOWING UP... Many were concerned about how long HD would fix IF a Problem? HD stated Forever..... Regardless of Who or How many owners later..

Remember when I used to always ask owners of 99 and 2ooo TC bikes about the Build Date and told of the ball bearing problem.?..

I finally found a guy Here on HDT that Had HIS Blow up.. and I felt excited with Informing him it should be under HD $$ repair..

He further investigated and call the HD folks that told him" after 10 years that was Long enough to fix any and denied his claim" (11 years later)

Many did Blow or Rattled and did get fixed but quite a few were never driven far enough to do the Bang.. Hence, the one I talked about here.

HD put in writing that they would stand behind the fix and you see where that went wrong.... I would have pursued it IF Mine.. I replaced mine right off and stood the cost myself and had No worry like the others.

Just not right.

signed....BUBBIE

That is Great news. Those 3 little grooves just may be the solution to this issue. Maybe it is wishful thinking but my primary sounds and feels better since I grooved that gear.

I'm still yet to do mine, haven't done a whole lot of riding of late. "but", I think you're spot on Hoople with that observation. I can tell mine is sticking. I can hear it. There is still a whole bunch of noise coming out of that primary even with the SE comp on. I"ve got about 1500mi on since installing. Will post up some pics once I get into it.

The 09 Rockers came with SE compensators from the factory.

whoops...I take back everything I said on that earlier comment of mine :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Well aside from "they all do that" sometimes they have been known to fix a common problem....however they would never admit that there was a problem to start with because of liability issues
c6-raspberry.gif

Absolutely. The line heading for the door would be longer than the one at Walmart on Christmas eve. Lets face it. How many new ideas actually are released in their perfected state from the get-go. Not many. All companies are allowed to make improvements without the liability to upgrade every unit in existence. Unless it is REALLY a safety issue and the government steps in..

HMMM maybe why the MOCO now calls itself LLC:s

A little over 1500 mi since installing and probably no different than what other folks are seeing. You can see the wear on the spokes. Drain plug also had more gunk on it than previous changes. I think I know where that's coming from.

Switching over to Formula+ after getting the grooves cut. Have been running Spectro Primary. Was getting a video of this for later reference and didn't catch the tunes in the background when recording. Sorry about that.

YouTube - SE Comp wear.MTS

I cut 3 good size oil grooves in my SE compensator about 6K miles ago. Pulled it apart just to check on how it was doing. There was plenty of new fret rust. The grooves seemed to not help at all. Formula + oil was used.
Back trying another new idea.

I cut 3 good size oil grooves in my SE compensator about 6K miles ago. Pulled it apart just to check on how it was doing. There was plenty of new fret rust. The grooves seemed to not help at all. Formula + oil was used.
Back trying another new idea.

That's not what I was hoping to hear Hoop, I have 5k on mine since doing the grooves but have yet to take her apart to check and think for now I will continue to run as is unless I have reason to tear her down. Used Formula + as well.

Is this a problem on the newer bikes only, or is it common to all of them???

Seems it may be more of an issue with the Screaming Eagle Compensator. I had 23K on the stock unit and had no noticeable fretting on it as far as I could tell.

Back