free website stats program fretting and metal erosion on stock compensator | Harley Davidson Forums

fretting and metal erosion on stock compensator

glimmerman

picked up my new cam slider today w/ new compensator bolt. bolt has blue loctite. parts guy says they come thru w/ red, yellow, and blue. come home and try the part fit w/ old shaft extention. i notice red fretting on the area where the sprocket itself rides on the shaft extention. further examination shows metal erosion on the face of the sprocket and on the shaft extention face in 4 or 5 areas like a pitting or galling. i am familiar w/ this as i've galled up enuff s/s bolts to know what this is. this is strange b/c the whole compensator was covered in formula+ when i removed it. when my new shaft extention gets in, i will groove the back side for oil and clean up the sprocket at the galled areas. will put in about 6 small grooves about .010 deep. 7k on this bike!:nosad

Take some pictures before and after...seen some pix before but never see the finished product or post inspection say a year or two later to see if mods really work! Just saying...:hii

you're asking me to tear this apart in a year or 2? i'm hoping to dump this rascal (language) as soon as the resale won't kill me. as i've posted about this junker (language) since last april and my continuing battle w/ dealers AND the moco, i hoping to get away w/o draining my savings any further. only routine maint. is all i'm spending here. if you're interested in a 2010 w/ a spent trans, give me a pm. original warranty till oct. 2011. blk and silver. security and lojack.

you're asking me to tear this apart in a year or 2? i'm hoping to dump this rascal (language) as soon as the resale won't kill me. as i've posted about this junker (language) since last april and my continuing battle w/ dealers AND the moco, i hoping to get away w/o draining my savings any further. only routine maint. is all i'm spending here. if you're interested in a 2010 w/ a spent trans, give me a pm. original warranty till oct. 2011. blk and silver. security and lojack.

Now there is Your Problem..... LOJACK...
All the problems you've had Maybe some one to steal it is best deal yet..

Sorry for all the problems you've had...

signed....BUBBIE

Has anybody called the MOCO service/tech dept about this??? This seems almost as bad as crankshaft runout.
Would it help any if a person raised the back of bike up over night to completely submerge front spocket???? Is there any way oil could soak into problem areas?
wilks3

I use Redline MTL in my 09 FLHR stock primary,,,, I plan to put in about 4 oz. More than required on next change out and see if it doesn't cause problems with clutch n shift (i doubt if it will)... Just to get a little More OIL tossing around in the primary....

signed....BUBBIE

With the way the primary chain slings oil around inside I doubt that adding oil will solve the problem. There seems to be no way for the lubricant to get into the area where it's needed.

will take some pics but uploading is not my forte. @bubbie-thanks i'll remember that. i really think i'm being haunted by my dear mother who never wanted me to ride. between the bike and other issues here, i would pull out my hair if i had any.

will put in about 6 small grooves about .010 deep.

.010" is not deep enough in my opinion. There is plenty of material to work with. I went much deeper (.100") and funneled the beginning of the groove to try any collect oil better. Make the grooves wide. At least .125"

The factory grooved pressure washer already has about .010" grooves in it and it did not work.

mine is just starting on the ring where the sprocket rides. it almost looks like burnt oil but has the red color. the sprocket should ride rather loosely on the shaft extention here. i don't have any washers just steel to steel contact. i'm only going to groove the back side of the shaft extention on the flat face where it contacts the sprocket. the erosion almost looks like an electrical arc went thru it. kinda like when i'm welding w/ a bad ground. there should be plenty of room for oil on this stock unit. smh.:dknow

Back