free website stats program fretting and metal erosion on stock compensator | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

fretting and metal erosion on stock compensator

You got any plans Hoop of getting back in there and taking a look after a certain mileage to see if that mod did any good?

I'll be curious to see if any of the 2011's with the SE comps installed as standard equip have this issue. I would imagine so, but still interested in seeing how that unfolds...i.e., recall.

i don't have any washers just steel to steel contact. i'm only going to groove the back side of the shaft extention on the flat face where it contacts the sprocket.

If your running a SE compensator, you should have a factory fiber washer just under the bolt head that already has spiral grooves in it. Those were oiling grooves from the factory that did not work.

Your cutting grooves on the opposite side, into the Gear not the arbor.

You got any plans Hoop of getting back in there and taking a look after a certain mileage to see if that mod did any good?

I probably won't open it up just for that, but if I take off the primary cover for any other reason I will remove the comp bolt to check how it's working.

Since the gear just rocks on the arbor and does not spin, I would guess it will take some time for real problems (play/noise) to develop. It may be my imagination, but since I put the grooves in the pulley, the compensator has been smooth as glass. Maybe I had some chatter or sticking of the gear on the arbor.(?)..
But it sure sounds smooth and quiet from when I put the grooves in. No joke.

Last edited by a moderator:
It may be my imagination, but since I put the grooves in the pulley, the compensator has been smooth as glass. Maybe I had some chatter or sticking of the gear on the arbor.(?)..
But it sure sounds smooth and quiet from when I put the grooves in. No joke.

Wow...that's interesting. Makes sense in that if there indeed was some sticking, that you would notice an improvement. Interesting.

Interesting the fretting is on the stock along with the SE. Interesting to see what develops in the future. (grooves in SE, updates, etc.)

@d1hojo07; mine looked like that at 7k. the face of the extention here has serious pitting and erosion from the sprocket. 2 cracks in cam slider. i posted pics to an album in the gallery under touring bikes. i can only get to the cam slider photo but the others are there showing the sprocket face and the face of the extention. picking up new ext. thurs. and will groove it and smooth the face to match the sprocket. also will match mark the pieces so IF it ever comes off again it will go back as it was.

mine is just starting on the ring where the sprocket rides. it almost looks like burnt oil but has the red color. the sprocket should ride rather loosely on the shaft extention here. i don't have any washers just steel to steel contact. i'm only going to groove the back side of the shaft extention on the flat face where it contacts the sprocket. the erosion almost looks like an electrical arc went thru it. kinda like when i'm welding w/ a bad ground. there should be plenty of room for oil on this stock unit. smh.:dknow

I know that the SE DOESN'T have OR get the LUBE.(.)

I Just Looked at Geezer's SE while he was Here...

I thought myself, LIKE all talk on the other forum and Hoople here,,,Thinking
That """" The SE comp. should be Grooved on the backside and In align with the three Spokes.. I would go at least 1/8 + deep and 3/16 wide, going up far enough of the spoke to attract oil to drip INTO the area while parked after rides or Stops along the ride... ANY amount of X-tra lubrication will Help the SE.

The stock one IS different and LUGGING the motor(IMO) is the main problem with it...

Smitty901 PM'ed me some GOOD information about the Problem and I do agree with him and I Have always also thought That Most of the Stock Compensator problem IS OVER WORKED BY Lugging the motor...

Now on the SE Comp. it doesn't get lubed is another problem.

I have NO problems with the stock comp. In my 09 FLHR with 20,000 mile on it...... YET.?.
Only IF a problem does come about will I replace it,,,, And would use another stock Comp. UNLESS HD came up with a Better One then the SE of today.

I WILL ADD 4 oz more in primary when I change... MTL Redline
signed....BUBBIE

I wonder if anyone on the forum has tried the BDL comp. sprocket?

Don't have one in my hand to check out, but it looks like it is almost no compensation (spring compression) at all. Instead of stacked conical washer spring it uses Teflon washers with no ramps. Looks like near direct drive to me.

That would be the kiss of death for any "96" press fitted crankshaft in my opinion. (?)

No ramps but it is threaded for both clockwise and counter-clockwise rotation. I don't know if it will work but do have confidence in BDL. I was hopping someone had tried it. Part # is BDL CS-34A for 07 and later.

Back