free website stats program Compensator Kit | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Compensator Kit

My manual (07 FLHR) listed HD-48219 for the locking tool; which seems different than your Softail manual. I suspect both the HD-47977 and the HD-48219 are replaced with HD-94102-09. A search on the HD site for 47977 or 48219 returns no items found. Searching for ‘locking tool’ returns the 94102-09 for the compensator/clutch lock tool.

Folks are crafting their own, which I’m looking at doing. I thought Sadist112 has a clever idea making it out of oak. Did it work well?

Thank you to all for the responses re. my #38. Looking at this for a winter project as well.

Thanks a lot for the heads up! Sometimes I forget that Harley makes other scooters beside the 07' Heritage Classic.......
:small3d004:

This is my first post, and would like to say I'm not much on posting. Just reading! I enjoy this forum because it seems to be more informative on the machanical end of the bike, and has different places to go and look for the information.
The reason I'm posting is I have an 2010 Limited. I put 255 cams in, an air cleaner, slip ons, and went with a master tune. I've talked to others on the Limited and what they've done and it seems like the compensator was the next thing. So, today was the day and I choose to grind my case instead of pull it. I'm not sure if they have a different casting or what, but mine took very little grinding. I did grind the black off than pulled the rotor back to the grind, then I took a piece of paper and found my tight places and it was only tight at the bottom. A little off there and the rotor came right off. I did pack rages around the clutch (which I left on) and around the rotor. For those thinking about this change, its a very easy one with minimal work, just alot of cleaning. Brake clean.
I work at the factory that makes all the beveled washers that go into the compensator (no I can't get any) and I can say that there was a lot of years into the development of the heavier ones. It does upset me that they didn't go to this on all motors. All washers are heat treated, then drawed back and set at a height, then ground (top and bottom) to a very close tolerance,peened and heated again. Maybe not all in that order, but a lot of hours go into the washer. Also, I would like to say I paid for mine. I would also like to thank those who put in the HOURS on this forum.

Just as a sidenote to this particular topic,while i was doing research in my manual for this task,i happened to note that the Compensator for the 2008 FXCW and FXCWC look very similiar to the Screamin' Eagle unit.And very different to the rest of the 2008 models.

I grabbed my parts catalogue to check,and there's a number of bits that have the same function and parts no. as the S.E Compensator.

Could this be a bit of skullduggery by the Motor Co?

I grabbed my parts catalogue to check,and there's a number of bits that have the same function and parts no. as the S.E Compensator.

Could this be a bit of skullduggery by the Motor Co?

See if the alternator rotors are the same number because that is where the important compression springs reside. The springs are a key part and my guess is the SE are different. If the rotors are not the same part numbers, the entire setups would not work alike.

the se comp doesnt use the springs built into the rotor its a shim stack of washers now

I have an 07 Ultra and from day one mine (like most in this forum) has started hard and had the starter kickout issue. I took it to the dealer once for the problem and was told like most that's the way it is and well maybe it's the starter, so a new starter was put on(didn't work). Yesterday I installed the SE compensator and man what a difference, it starts fine, I don't have the vibration I had before, when I take off there isn't a shutter, and when I back off the throttle I don't have this slap like my chain tensioner is loose.

I agree with Mr. Data this is something IMO the motor company should install on all 07 models.

Great forum guys and outstanding comments, not the usual smart (EDIT) comments on other forums.

Not the language like other forums either!

Language is not permitted on this forum.

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

This is an interesting read. I noticed no one had a failure here before installing the new comp assembly. Well mine did fail as the bearing race walked inwards. I know several people who have had the failure, most around 15-20k area. Also know of several of the new trikes that have had failures with this new comp. Mine is an 07 SEUC. I also replaced the HD bearing with a Baker one and so far all is good. Overall I think this comp assembly is much better than the original.

This is an interesting read. I noticed no one had a failure here before installing the new comp assembly. Well mine did fail as the bearing race walked inwards. I know several people who have had the failure, most around 15-20k area. Also know of several of the new trikes that have had failures with this new comp. Mine is an 07 SEUC. I also replaced the HD bearing with a Baker one and so far all is good. Overall I think this comp assembly is much better than the original.

I am a bit confused by all of this My 07 has 50K on it and no issue with any of this sin listed for the compensator.
Also I know a lot of riders that own 07,08,09,10 and none can figure out what this is all about also they all are above average riders as for miles racked up.

I would to say that our production of the SE Compensator beveled washers has more than tripled. And it was rumored that it could even go higher. So I would say that a lot more of the touring bikes will be standard with the SE Comp.

I would to say that our production of the SE Compensator beveled washers has more than tripled.

I too have the SE compensator installed. Yes the SE compensator has much larger & stronger washers but it really is designed to be USED with high output engines. Lets face it. How much compression of the SE washers can a person expect using a stock production engine? Without the power absorbtion of the compensator washers, doing damage to the crank is very high. My guess is using an SE compenstor on a stock 96 output engine would be like running pure direct drive (no comp at all).
I have, use and like my SE comp but in the back of my mind I wonder how much drive train absorbtion is taking place.

I have the strobes and Hi speed film to record a comp under actual working conditions but I don't have the ability to load the engine or else I would test it..

Back