free website stats program Compensator Kit | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Compensator Kit

My 07 RK has the ‘rattling box of rocks’ syndrome. I’m assuming I’m hearing drive train noise, but not sure what ‘pinging’ sounds like.
Been mulling over whether to do a compensator or IDS upgrade. Seems the compensator route is best, as gs34 (and others) seem very happy with it on the 07 FLHTC with no IDS, and now Ironmark weights in very positively having it installed on 08 RG (which would have come with IDS?). It seems to make sense to address the issue at the source, rather than the rear with the IDS, and the ‘starter knock’ elimination is an added bonus. Yet, I read some have opted for the IDS upgrade on 07’s and are also quite pleased.
Leaning towards the compensator kit, but still open to opinions, what special tools and socket sizes are required? I know of the primary drive locking tool (HD48219), 13/16 for the compensator and 1-3/16 inch socket for the clutch hub, with breaker bar and some pipe for leverage. Do these come off without use of heat or impact wrench? Thanks.

The IDS will eliminate most all the noise problems in the 07 bikes except for the starter bang on start up, that will be compensator that will do that. I would go for the IDS and do the compensator if you feel that it's needed to eliminate the started bang or any compensator rattling you may have.

I would like to upgrade my OEM compensator on my Road King 08.

One question.....to change the alternator rotor is it necessary remove the inner primary housing?

thank you!

Somewhere it was said that there is casting flash you have to remove to change it with out pulling the inner primary

Somewhere it was said that there is casting flash you have to remove to change it with out pulling the inner primary

That's correct Bud,

About 3/16 needs to be removed from the front lower radius of the inner cover to install the new. The rotor won't clear the lip on the casting.

I used a rotary file in an electric drill, not a big deal.
Tip, you need to hold the outer nut on the new kit, requires 1 3/4 wrench. The 15" crescent wrench @ home depot marked 1 11/16 will work after filing the burrs off on the tips.

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

That's correct Bud,

About 3/16 needs to be removed from the front lower radius of the inner cover to install the new. The rotor won't clear the lip on the casting.

ok, and then you remove the rotor by hands or I need a specific tool?

thank you!

How long on average does the kit take to install start to finish? I am debating putting my in tonight however want to roll down to the Ocean City, MD rally tomorrow at 10am and am not interested in pulling an all nighter.

What an Awesome Write up. Great pictures. Great Job.
This part was Pure Classic. I will never forget it.

gs34 also mentioned that he made it a point to ask the service dept of 4 different dealers about this installation and if there were any pitfalls to the installation that he need to be aware of.
Of the 4 he asked, not 1 had done the installation. 2 had never even heard of it, and one of them even argued with him about its existence.
Of the 2 dealers who knew of the part, only 1 had a tech (who had recently returned from a factory school) who could even talk intelligently about it.

What a profound statement. I Love it! I am actually convinced I can do it "Wrong" one time, then do it again a second time correctly and still be ahead of bringing it to a dealer!

My Thanks to gs34 for sharing his Knowledge and his ability to Teach.

Back