free website stats program Compensator Kit | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Compensator Kit

I too have the SE compensator installed. Yes the SE compensator has much larger & stronger washers but it really is designed to be USED with high output engines. Lets face it. How much compression of the SE washers can a person expect using a stock production engine? Without the power absorbtion of the compensator washers, doing damage to the crank is very high. My guess is using an SE compenstor on a stock 96 output engine would be like running pure direct drive (no comp at all).
I have, use and like my SE comp but in the back of my mind I wonder how much drive train absorbtion is taking place.

I have the strobes and Hi speed film to record a comp under actual working conditions but I don't have the ability to load the engine or else I would test it..

So are you saying that installing the SE compensator might actually cause long term damage to a stock TC96? What about a TC96 with a simple Stage I?

So are you saying that installing the SE compensator might actually cause long term damage to a stock TC96? What about a TC96 with a simple Stage I?

No not at all. All I am saying is the compensator washers are designed around the expected horsepower and torque that will be applied to them. One look at the SE washers and you can see they were built to take a bunch of Torque. Way beyond the torque my engine has to compress them. If you look at the washer stack, there are 3 sizes. I can't ever see a normal street engine ever having enough torque to compress the 2 largest washers. And actually the 2 middle washers seem to be pretty beefy also.

Think for a minute what the purpose of the compensator actually is for. To absorb or cushion sudden applications of Torque. Even if you don't have a bunch of engine Torque, you need something to absorb shock from a sudden strong downshift or mis-shift. You need something to absorb some of the shock to keep from scissoring the crank. That energy has to go somewhere. The intent was for that energy to be absorbed in compressing the spring washers. If the springs don't compress, it's like hitting a wall.

What would really tell me if my THEORY is correct, would be to remove the primary cover and strobe the compensator with a light while abusing it on a dyno. Power-shift and downshift hard and you would be able to easily see how much the "ramps" in the compensator climbed in the "slots". If no matter how hard you tried, you could not ramp to the end of the slots, you would know the last 2 washers were really not being used.

My intent was not to alarm anyone but only to make people aware. If people say WOW to a new installed SE compensator, I would guess they had a couple of bad spring washers in their old compensator. So they are really comparing a NEW SE comp to a worn out or broken Original Comp. In my case, when I installed my SE compensator, I felt no real MAJOR improvement. The reason I would guess was because my original compensator was like new,, and had nothing wrong with it.
I do like my SE comp. I was just set back from the increased size of the power absorbing spring steel washers. From their size you can see those were built to have a TON of power applied to them. Not really the stock -non-staged engine I have.

I read on another website that the 2011's are now all using the se style compensator? not sure if this is true or not, but it would explain the previous posters comment of upped production of washers

How oftern does this wear out? Mine was just replaced at 30k with no abuse, always HD anal about oil change and the correct oil, also the starter went out as well???? on a 2009Thanks
Tom

How oftern does this wear out?

The only way to REALLY know is to remove the primary cover, install a locking bar and while using a torque wrench,, measure what it takes to fully compress the compensator washer stack in the assembly.

Those are heat treated spring washers that can fatigue or crack. Mileage on the bike is meaningless in my opinion.

I read on another website that the 2011's are now all using the se style compensator? not sure if this is true or not, but it would explain the previous posters comment of upped production of washers

Looking in the 2011 HD catalog, it IS now standard equipment on the 2011's.

Looking in the 2011 HD catalog, it IS now standard equipment on the 2011's.

What does it say in the catalog. Does it actually give a part number and say that it is standard equipment on 2011 models.

Remember it can be a SE comp but still have different spring rates.

What does it say in the catalog. Does it actually give a part number and say that it is standard equipment on 2011 models.

Remember it can be a SE comp but still have different spring rates.

D. SCREAMIN’ EAGLE BIG TWIN COMPENSATOR
This premium compensator has been engineered with heavier
springs and increased travel to support the high-torque output
associated with high compression race and large displacement
engines. Designed to support up to 7 times the energy
absorption capacity of the Original Equipment compensator,
this unit helps protect the engine and driveline components
during harsh drag race launches. The perfect addition
to a complete performance upgrade, and it complements the
installation of the Screamin’ Eagle Performance Clutch Hub
P/N 37976-08.
40274-08 $249.95
Fits ’06-later Dyna, ’07-later Softail (except FXCW, FXCWC
and FXSTSSE3), and ’07-’10 Touring models. Original
Equipment on ’11 Touring models and Trike models.

Installation on ’06 Dyna models requires separate purchase
of '07 style stator.

D. SCREAMIN’ EAGLE BIG TWIN COMPENSATOR
This premium compensator has been engineered with heavier
springs and increased travel to support the high-torque output
associated with high compression race and large displacement
engines. Designed to support up to 7 times the energy
absorption capacity of the Original Equipment compensator,
this unit helps protect the engine and driveline components
during harsh drag race launches. The perfect addition
to a complete performance upgrade, and it complements the
installation of the Screamin’ Eagle Performance Clutch Hub
P/N 37976-08.
40274-08 $249.95
Fits ’06-later Dyna, ’07-later Softail (except FXCW, FXCWC
and FXSTSSE3), and ’07-’10 Touring models. Original
Equipment on ’11 Touring models and Trike models.

Installation on ’06 Dyna models requires separate purchase
of '07 style stator.

That does look like the same kit. Just looking at the springs I knew it could absorb at least 3 times the energy as the stock one but 7X... wow, that's crazy.

Only on touring bikes & trikes. Hummm. So Sporty, Dyna, Softails don't count.

I really am amazed they did not downsize the washers.

Thanks for the heads up info.!

Back