free website stats program Compensator Kit | Harley Davidson Forums

Compensator Kit

glider.

BOT Machine
Here's some info on the compensator kit for 07 and later bikes.

Here's a thread regarding this upgrade.
Compensator Upgrade Update - Harley Davidson Community

BT Compensator kit.pdf

Also refer to this post...
Starter Noise Complaints - Harley Davidson Community

This (SE) premium compensator has been engineered with heavier springs and increased travel to support the high-torque output associated with high compression race and large displacement engines. Designed to support up to 7 times the energy absorption capacity of the Original Equipment compensator, this unit helps protect the engine and drive line components during harsh drag race launches. The perfect addition to a complete performance upgrade, and complements the installation of the Screamin' Eagle® Performance Clutch Hub P/N 37976-08.

40274_08_L_2387e.jpg

Here's a write up that "GS34" did with the installation of this compensator kit on his 2007 FLHTC.

Well, back on the 4th of Dec. I said I was going to install a big twin compensator kit after the hollidays. OK So, here it is and today was the day. I will try my best to give you a good report on the installation.
I start by saying, I purchased the kit, part # 40274-08, on line for $199.96 + $15.00 shipping.

The instructions that come with the kit are very straight forward, and if you have a service manual, torque wrench, and basic hand tools, the installation should be no problem at all.
Also. the work will be a lot easier on your back if you have the bike up on a jack, however, that is not a requirement.

Drain the oil from the primary and remove the outer primary cover.
Once you have everything opened up, just follow the directions in your service manual for removing the clutch and compensator.
comp1.jpg

Make sure you collapse the slack adjuster and hold it from expanding with a plastic tie, or piece of mechanics wire, prior to removing the 2 bolts which hold it in place.
Take care when removing the snapring in the clutch basket that it doesn't fly out and get lost.

comp2.jpg

The stock compensator, primary chain and clutch will slide right off their shafts and can be removed as 1 unit.
This will leave the rotor exposed for removal, but here is where you have a choice to make.

There is not enough clearance in the front lower corner to pull the rotor. So, you either have to remove the inner primary housing, or grind a bit of the excess material away from the inner lip, to allow the rotor to clear the housing.
I choose to grind.

After cleaning the inner housing of all oil, I protected all of the shaft and seal areas with duct tape. Then, I packed rags in around the rotor and front area so that none of the shavings or dirt created could get into areas where it could cause damage.
comp3.jpg

Once you have enough material removed, Clean everything out good, wash it down with solvent or brake clean, and blow it off with air.
The old rotor will pull off with a little pressure (because of the magnets) and the new one will slide right on the splines.

comp4n.jpg

This is the new rotor installed.

These next 2 pictures show where the material had to be removed from the inner primary.

comp5-1.jpg

comp6.jpg

This is the new spring pac and shaft extension installed.
comp7.jpg

This is the new steeper ramp assembly in place.
comp8.jpg

Next comes the re installation of the new heavier compensator sprocket along with the primary chain and clutch.
comp9.jpg

After reinstalling the clutch, and getting everything torqued to spec, make sure that your snap ring is fully seated in its groove. You might want to tap on it with a small punch and hammer to insure this.

comp10.jpg

Don't forget to remove the tie that you had previously added to hold your tensioner in place.

That's all there is to it.
Reinstall all your covers, taking care to use the proper tightening sequence on the outer primary.
Refill with the proper amount of oil....remember, it will take more than the normal change, where you don't pull the outer cover.

Hope that covers it thoroughly enough.
If anyone decides to do this install and has any questions, feel free to PM me and I will do my best to answer them for you.

gs34 also mentioned that he made it a point to ask the service dept of 4 different dealers about this installation and if there were any pitfalls to the installation that he need to be aware of.
Of the 4 he asked, not 1 had done the installation. 2 had never even heard of it, and one of them even argued with him about its existence.
Of the 2 dealers who knew of the part, only 1 had a tech (who had recently returned from a factory school) who could even talk intelligently about it.
gs34 added ...I could add that on examining the old stock compensator, I was surprised at the amount of wear evident on the ramps and on their mating surfaces. With 14000 miles on the bike, there was more wear there than I would have expected.
Conversly, the chain tensioner shoe was in like new condition with no wear and only light scuffing evident in the surface.

NOTE:

"eleft36" also posted this input for this kit after he installed this kit.

Mr. Data this pdf has flawed information:

1)this can not be done:"Rotate the compensating sprocket to make sure there is a light pressure on the sprocket from the springs. No clearance should be felt. A slight rotation should be possible by hand with the transmission in neutral."

2) Parts A & B are included and are much different than the original the instructions relate to.

That said, the kit is the greatest improvement any one can make.

Here's an interesting thread on this compensator...

fretting and metal erosion on stock compensator - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr. Data,

What is the purpose for this change, is there any notation that it changes performance or rectifies a previous problem?

Al

I believe that there were some compensator assemblies that were too far out of specs and made a lot of noise. I feel they should all be changed for a better unit.

Hey Mr. Data, I just read thru the instructions and your posts. Is this the new heavy duty Screaming Eagle compensator, or just an original equip. replacement?

Thanks

That's the SE version for larger engines. It should be standard in all 96 engines IMO because of the weaker spring in the standard units.

I thought it was. I've read some revues on it from a couple of installs and they are all favorable. Folks are all pretty much in agreement with what you have written.
Gonna have to think on maybe doing this over the winter.

I'm sure the MOCO will properly label this part as an "enhancement" so they have no responsibility to furnish it at their expense to replace the weak garbage that they installed in the bikes from the factory. That's primarily why it's labeled a SE part so it's considered an upgrade and not a correction for substandard parts just like the IDS drive system was.

Let us know if you do the installation and the difference it makes, also if it eliminates the starter knock on start up.

Parts man here quoted $249

He said it was for street racing, drags and large cubic inch installs.

6 speeds only

Al

Great information and instructions. I had the dealer install mine. It was a great addition to the 103 the shifting, starting and the over all driveline on the bike has improved. The only thing was convincing the Harley Techs this was needed. After install they were converted and saw a huge difference in the bike.

Great information and instructions. I had the dealer install mine. It was a great addition to the 103 the shifting, starting and the over all driveline on the bike has improved. The only thing was convincing the Harley Techs this was needed. After install they were converted and saw a huge difference in the bike.

Did it help with the Clunk etc? I been thinking on one for my RKC

Back