free website stats program Compensator Kit | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Compensator Kit

Well finally, We got a break in the weather, the majority of salt is washed off the roads, and I had the opportunity to give the bike a decent run to try out the new compensator.
I had started and ran it before today and completed my service requirements, which were due. So, when I began my ride today it was with fresh oil in all the holes, newly adjusted clutch, Clean air filter, tire pressure @ 36psi .....and a big smile on my face!!!

The 1st obvious difference with the new compensator is a quiet startup.
With the stock unit, every time you hit the start button you could hear and feel a big "bang", as the compensator overcentered.
There was no more evidence of this after running thru probably a dozen starter engagements.

2nd thing I noticed was, There is no noticable driveline noise.
As far as that "rattleing box of rocks" sound that came and went, everything seemed quiet, even with some light lugging, and some rapid acceleration.
The normal launch is smoother as well. And, It remains smooth, even with a lower throttle input. Mine used to shudder sometimes if there wasn't enough throttle to carry it thru.

I should add here that my bike is an 07 with no IDS.
Because of the noise issues and chattering that I had noticed, (associated with the driveline) I had seriously considered installing the IDS to cure these problems.
Now that I have installed the new compensator kit, I do not feel the IDS is necessary.
There appears to be sufficient damping with this heavy duty kit to handle all of the deficiencies that were evident with the stock compensator.
Overall, I am quite satisfied with this installation, and think it is well worth the time and money spent.

Good to hear that gs and that it solved the inadequate compensator that was used starting in the 07. I'd be curios to see when the compensator gets a few miles on it if it holds the line you have now.
That's a big plus to get rid of the starter knock on start up. That's one thing that bothered me about my RK from day one. I almost didn't buy it when I heard the bang on start up but was quickly assured that it was normal. Maybe normal for poor design but definitely not normal in real life.

I also read where someone else was saying the SE comp seemed to solve a lot of issue be intersted to hear how it holds up .. might change mine next winter

Guys, when you look at the 2 compensators complete....side by side....there is absolutely no comparison.
The new compensator is COMPLETELY different in every way. The only simularitys between the 2 is the number of teeth on the sprocket. The ramps are different, much steeper and with a different angle on the front than on the back side of the ramp. The splined drive is much heavier and the springs...well, looking at the spring packs side by side is actually laughable. I Guarentee you're not going to collapse this new spring pack.
Time will tell, but I really have high hopes for this new design. It actually LOOKS like there was some engineering thought that went into it.

It certainly doesn't cost H D $200 for the kit. I don't know why it's not standard equipment on the new bikes.

I feel it's the best improvement one can make for $200+ on the 96B twin cam.

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

My bike has 3000 miles on it. Is this something I need to consider doing? What are the symptoms?

Thanks

It's not a necessity to do but if the sloppiness of the primary drive bothers you or the noise it makes at start up is a problem then you could consider this option.

I just had the dealer install the SE compensator kit in my 08 RG & I could notice the difference right away , there is no more starter clunk and the primary noise is gone & the bike seems to be smooth @ lower RPMs . The bike was jerkey @ lower speeds like parking lots situations or taking off @ a lower (1500 or below) RPM , I used to have to engage & disengage the clutch when @ slower speeds so I could coast through the parking lot but that seems better now , also it may just be me but it seems that the bike has more power & zip like it is getting more power transfered to the clutch , I would have to get it dynoed again just to see if the bike has more tourqe :D this upgrade get 2 thumbs up IMO

Back