free website stats program Compensator Kit | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Compensator Kit

How long on average does the kit take to install start to finish? I am debating putting my in tonight however want to roll down to the Ocean City, MD rally tomorrow at 10am and am not interested in pulling an all nighter.

else where it was said 2-3 hours

2008 Road king

Replaced stock comp at 14,500, now at 16,500 and still working like new. Much improvement in low rpm smoothness, and NO starter clunk ever. I filed out the primary and that was time consuming, over an hour just for that. I have the serivce manual and couldn't tell for sure if removing the inner primary opens the crank case, if so, timing this job with an oil change would work well. Guess that would require the inner primary to engine gasket also.

Some people claimed the transmission didn't clank as loudly after the change, but mine seems just as noisy, especially when going into first just after engine start. I had the starter BANG from day one but didn't know what it was until I read about the SE Comp. here. What a wonderful improvement. Making that much noise on every start can't be good for the involved parts.

Got my comp. and gasket from Zanottis, about $250 for parts and shipping. I'm glad it was no more expensive, but well worth both the price and effort. I also believe the manufacturer should include this item as standard on all the 96 ci engines.

Some folks had reported their dealer changed to the SE Comp. under warranty for just the price difference of the old vs the new piece. I took mine in and was told the "box of rocks" noise and starter bang were normal. Perhaps that's true, but it is all fixed now. I can't accept that any mechanical noise that can be heard above the exhaust, wind and road noise is "normal". Glad I did it, and recommend to anyone else considering it.

Some folks crafted their own primary drive locking tool (HD48219). What would the dimensions be please? Is this tool (HD48219) being replaced with PN 94102-09?

It’s been mention the primary on my bike (07 FLHR) is noisy, perhaps mine is one of the weaker ones, it is an early year production model. I’ve done the auto chain tightening tip, and it helped. I’m also probably over-sensitive to it now, along with the starter knock, and looking at doing the comp sprocket upgrade first. Very much appreciate the earlier replies and all the tips. Thank you.

Not sure but it could be because of a different rotor design. The one pictured (bar) wouldn't put the stress on the chain where the bar shown would lock the pulleys without using the chain to do it.

The new tool is just a piece of 1/4 inch barstock, 1 inch wide X 5 7/8 inch long with a taper on both ends to fit between the sprocket teeth.
Or, you can also use a couple of 1/2 inch bolts, joined with a long conduit hanger nut. This long nut will allow you to adjust the length by screwing the bolts in or out to the size you want.
Almost anything will work really, you just need to block the sprockets from moving so you can break the retaining bolts loose.

The new tool is just a piece of 1/4 inch barstock, 1 inch wide X 5 7/8 inch long with a taper on both ends to fit between the sprocket teeth.
Or, you can also use a couple of 1/2 inch bolts, joined with a long conduit hanger nut. This long nut will allow you to adjust the length by screwing the bolts in or out to the size you want.
Almost anything will work really, you just need to block the sprockets from moving so you can break the retaining bolts loose.

Yeah I just going to take a piece of oak and cut 45s on both ends. Figured the oak would be a little forgiving as well on the sprocket so I don't mar up the gearing.

My manual (07 FLHR) listed HD-48219 for the locking tool; which seems different than your Softail manual. I suspect both the HD-47977 and the HD-48219 are replaced with HD-94102-09. A search on the HD site for 47977 or 48219 returns no items found. Searching for ‘locking tool’ returns the 94102-09 for the compensator/clutch lock tool.

Folks are crafting their own, which I’m looking at doing. I thought Sadist112 has a clever idea making it out of oak. Did it work well?

Thank you to all for the responses re. my #38. Looking at this for a winter project as well.

made mine from nylon primary shoe for my evo years ago should work for my 09 ultra if i change my compinsator..

Back