free website stats program 2014's are out | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

2014's are out

Take comfort, Dolt. As I'm sure your aware, there are literally thousands of options for us guys that prefer to wrench on our bikes. The aftermarket provides everything from frames to engines to electrical switches, one could probably build their own bike.

While it may be true the days of wrenching on a new Harley may be limited, I suspect (and hope) the MoCo will draw a more diverse (by that I mean younger) crowd who want the perceived reliability of a water cooled engine and the functionality of all the electronic doo dads (technical word, I know).

I am cool; no worries here as I don't need or want what the new models have to offer and am quite content with my "old" models and there is an endless list of performance and cosmetic modification options available in the aftermarket.

"Perceived reliability"?? Interesting choice of words.

I guess I will continue to be in the minority here, but please don't call this a "water cooled" engine. It is NOT. Even the MoCo is marketing this as "Twin-Cooled" in order to avoid the false-advertising stigma. This is little more than a band-aid fix to the ever increasing restrictions by the EPA.

This merely cools the heads and the exhaust ports. Draw your own conclusions, but this partial cooling system caused disproportionate cooling down the cylinder walls, and thus contributed to seal and gasket issues in late 1970's Cessna aircraft engines. The design was later scraped. They filed patents for this design only 3 years ago (that couldn't have allowed for a lot of longevity R&D).

Don't get me wrong, Harley needed to do something. I would have respected an FLHTK with the V-Rod engine (a TRUE water cooled engine). We have all been saying that the days of the air cooled engines were numbered due to the ridiculous EPA requirements and phony gas (with ethanol + water). I just would have expected more than a half-hearted band-aid from H-D with a shiny bow (ie. LCD displays).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been trying to keep up with this threat and like most I am not sure how these "new" changes will be accepted and if HD can attract new buyers. I do know this though, there are some very smart members here that have learned over the years how to work on, modify, and repair every Harley out there. They will learn this one too and help everyone that just has to have the latest and greatest Harley!

:s I hope you are right Don, We will need Hoople to be on his toes with the electrical end, The mechanical end will take of it self IMO

I do know this though, there are some very smart members here that have learned over the years how to work on, modify, and repair every Harley out there. They will learn this one too and help everyone that just has to have the latest and greatest Harley!

Learning to work on one is not the issue and less of an issue for the DIY guys; they will figure it out, get whatever additional tools that may be required, roll up their sleeves and deal with the fact that what used to be a four hour job may now be an 8 hour job. However, the guys that have to pay the dealer to work on their bikes may not be happy that a cam upgrade might now cost twice as much in labor. Heck, there are techs that service bikes and forget to fill the crankcase with oil. What now with all the extra hardware to deal with??:unsure

"Perceived reliability" was my attempt at avoiding a debate concerning "air cooled" vs. "water cooled" engines. I've been there, done that.

Eagle, I realize this engine is not a pure water cooled engine but, I believe, it is a step toward that eventuality.

This merely cools the heads and the exhaust ports. Draw your own conclusions, but this partial cooling system caused disproportionate cooling down the cylinder walls, and thus contributed to seal and gasket issues in late 1970's Cessna aircraft engines. The design was later scraped. They filed patents for this design only 3 years ago (that couldn't have allowed for a lot of longevity R&D)..

Going to be interesting to see how these new engines hold up, if harley has addressed this disproportionate cooling issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
glad to hear/see so many unimpressed riders. after seeing the hype from harley i think i'm getting some new sneakers for the rk. just bought a new seat for the cash cow after 18 days and 6655 miles in june/july. don't think i'll ever get a new bike by the look of these. if i wanted a georgie jetson, i'd get a victory. put on an a/c, new pipes, sert, and dyno for the cow. got 87 ft/lbs and 71 hp at 13:1 a/f ratio on the 96 w/o cat. still respectable 44 mpg, 2 up. no need to get fancy.

Obviously, the whole purpose here is to cool that part of the engine that is most likely to be damaged by a lean mixture, and therefore high heat, the area around the exhaust valve.

I think the factory has done a fantastic job! Can't blame Harley for catalytic converters(read; extremely hot to operate properly), quiet mufflers, 2 cams, belt drive, EPA MANDATED 14.7 : 1 air to fuel ratio(read; even hotter yet) and probably a few things I can't remember.

It's all because of EPA MANDATED noise and exhaust emissions requirements.

Where is there a 45degree V twin, big displacement, pushrod operated, air cooled(mostly), EPA LEGAL engine that is doing any better?

Get 'em while they're hot !:newsmile03:

Where is there a 45degree V twin, big displacement, pushrod operated, air cooled(mostly), EPA LEGAL engine that is doing any better?

There ya go. Had the MoCo built a water cooled configuration around the 60* VRod motor; they might have impressed me. This is putting lipstick on a pig and a poor attempt at that. Be the first one on your block to get one.:s

This water cooling though it is coming to market is just the 1st step. They now have to figure out how the unfaired bikes are going to get it. Maybe as Bubbie stated earlier only one hole for oil. No more engine and transmission but a engine trans combo like the imports. Maybe the V-Rod engine will be the transplant to all bikes....... I can only imagine where Harley is heading with all of this.

Back