free website stats program 2014's are out | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

2014's are out

dbmg I think you are right on target with the Road Glide coming back with the V-Rod platform. Looks like HD may use the RG as a test platform for their whole line.

Went to one of our local Omaha dealers yesterday for some bag latch hardware (another story) and they had two 2014 Street Glides out on the floor. Biggest differences are the upgraded controls, electronic entertainment & dash. The rear saddlebags and batwing have subtle changes (design & air vent in fairing). Not enough to really get me interested, but there was one guy salivating and saying his wife would kill him if he upgraded again...sales rep was really pushing, but I had to leave so who knows if he swung the deal & slept in dog house, or went home to beg/plead trading w/sweetie...??

dbmg I think you are right on target with the Road Glide coming back with the V-Rod platform. Looks like HD may use the RG as a test platform for their whole line.

The RG won't have the VRod motor; the MoCo just hasn't figured out how to fit the radiators into the shark nose fairing. Pretty sure no VRod motor in the RG which is one of the most popular touring models. Now the softails and dynas are a different story, I could see the VRod motor and cooling system the way to go to water cooling but still a hard sell to the old school gang. Of course, according to some, we are all dying off and not part of the new Harley target demographic.:bigsmiley25:

The RG won't have the VRod motor; the MoCo just hasn't figured out how to fit the radiators into the shark nose fairing. Pretty sure no VRod motor in the RG which is one of the most popular touring models. Now the softails and dynas are a different story, I could see the VRod motor and cooling system the way to go to water cooling but still a hard sell to the old school gang. Of course, according to some, we are all dying off and not part of the new Harley target demographic.:bigsmiley25:

I find it unfortunate that some of the long time Harley devotees feel that way. I am sure you are aware that this is not the first big change that has created a negative buzz towards the manufacture. Remember electronic ignition or fuel injection??? At first it seems a negative. But as time rolls by people get used to change. Change means progress and for Harley there can be no truer words. If not for change Harley would have gone the way of the original Indian. So it may not be as bad as you think.....:s
Remember Harley does nothing to alienate its brand loyal, only to keep the history of Harley alive and vibrant.....

I've been riding motorcycles for over 30 years. The last 8 on Harleys, in my humble opinion its time for a completely new touring bike. One not based on air cooled push rod technology! I'm 55 years old and want something comfortable to ride made in the USA that will at least stay with a Gold Wing. A couple of years ago or local Honda dealer had a test ride day and I took GW out for a 30 minute ride. It was a very impressive bike. It's time for Harley to look at how many people drive Toyota and Nissan. People that want a $50.00 oil change and not $200.00. I ride my bike a 2008 Ultra with 45,000 on the clock. The MoCo has not came up with anything yet to entice me to trade. I appreciate the heritage of Harley, I also appreciate the heritage of Ford I just don't want to drive model T! I hope the RG comes back as a completely new Gold Wing thumper and not as some one else put it just lipstick on a pig.

I've been riding motorcycles for over 30 years. The last 8 on Harleys, in my humble opinion its time for a completely new touring bike. One not based on air cooled push rod technology! I'm 55 years old and want something comfortable to ride made in the USA that will at least stay with a Gold Wing. A couple of years ago or local Honda dealer had a test ride day and I took GW out for a 30 minute ride. It was a very impressive bike. It's time for Harley to look at how many people drive Toyota and Nissan. People that want a $50.00 oil change and not $200.00. I ride my bike a 2008 Ultra with 45,000 on the clock. The MoCo has not came up with anything yet to entice me to trade. I appreciate the heritage of Harley, I also appreciate the heritage of Ford I just don't want to drive model T! I hope the RG comes back as a completely new Gold Wing thumper and not as some one else put it just lipstick on a pig.

Here here! Very well said! :small3d018::bigsmiley12:

Show us that beautiful (and proven) Porsche/HD V-twin on a RG!

I find it unfortunate that some of the long time Harley devotees feel that way. I am sure you are aware that this is not the first big change that has created a negative buzz towards the manufacture. Remember electronic ignition or fuel injection??? At first it seems a negative. But as time rolls by people get used to change. Change means progress and for Harley there can be no truer words. If not for change Harley would have gone the way of the original Indian. So it may not be as bad as you think.....:s Remember Harley does nothing to alienate its brand loyal, only to keep the history of Harley alive and vibrant.....

Perhaps you didn't read my previous post. I am a long time Harley devotee and have not been one of those nay sayers adding to the negative buzz to previous factory "upgrades". I am not a particular fan of EFI, owning one bike with and one without but doesn't mean I don't see EFI as a progressive change; same with the evolution of the EVO to the TC; all good.

However, the direction the MoCo is headed does not interest me; if I wanted infortainment, I would have bought a GW long ago. It will be 5-8 years before the MoCo has changed all models over to being fully water cooled. I think they learned with the VRod experience that baby steps are the way to go. I think the oil cooler should have been retained to compliment the water cooling but what do I know. :dknow

I remain loyal to the brand but anything beyond an '09 model does not interest me. I think the more everyone learns about the new models, like the fact that you can't change tire sizes which pretty much locks you into the Dunlop tires for that model; the fact that lowers cannot be removed which will be huge deterrent to guys that live in the SE and SW part of the country, the fact that the H-D coolant costs $22.75/quart, the increased cost in labor to service the bikes, and other little bits and pieces that the MoCo will not release but the beta testers, will learn may dampen the enthusiasm for the new changes a bit.:bigsmiley25:

Now, as I mentioned previously, if the MoCo eventually produces a water cooled model using a modified configuration of the REVO/VRod motor, I could get interested in a new Harley but for now, I am quite content to ride my "old" ones.:s

Very well said by you both. I remember back when the EVO came along how the purists would have nothing to do with the MOCO, hope we are not going to repeat those days JMO

It appears to be far, far too late, we can all blame the Frenchman, Nicolas-Joseph Cugnot (1725-1804), for starting the whole mess and making the horse obsolete. He built the first self propelled road vehicle for the French army in 1769. It was powered by steam and in my opinion, as a purist, real horse(equine) power is the only way to go. The world has gone downhill ever since.

Now we argue over the definition of "true water cooling" versus what, I suppose, pretend water cooling.

JMO

and linked brakes with ABS, perfect for the man who doesn't know how his brakes work,

I will crawl back under my rock now but will have more to add later.

It may be interesting to some to do some research on stopping distances and ABS brakes. There are published tests that show that even professional moto gp race bike pilots have a very difficult time beating ABS stopping distances with non ABS brakes. Same goes for, dare I say it, traction control! Even more so. Without traction control, modern supercars and superbikes would un-drivable/rideable. I would wager that very soon, Harleys will have active traction control systems too! Wouldn't surprise me at all if the ABS and traction control is mandated by some govt agency to protect us from ourselves.

Amazing stuff though! If you have a friend with a newer sportbike, ask him to show you what happens when he pins the throttle on his 180 hp missile, leaned over in a turn, on a gravel road. What happens?? Nothing but controlled acceleration. gotta see to believe!

Sorry, I got off track.

Back