free website stats program 2014's are out | Page 8 | Harley Davidson Forums

2014's are out

Because you are no longer able to trail brake while cornering. I wonder what happens when riding the rear brake to keep the EG's upright while tight turning?????

Using just the rear brake was key in slow speed handling. The rear will stand you up while just the front will take you down.

Linked system kicks in only past 20 mph.

Doesn't eliminate my concern. Every time I have been hot in a corner, my speed far exceeded 20mph.

So then how unstable are these bikes going to be when you can not rear brake only when hot in a corner? I know there are quite a few linked bikes out there so will there be a learning curve on how to learn to corner on the new HD's ?

So then how unstable are these bikes going to be when you can not rear brake only when hot in a corner? I know there are quite a few linked bikes out there so will there be a learning curve on how to learn to corner on the new HD's ?

Precisely my point; I don't want to go through the learning curve and if I did, I would not choose one of the new '14 Harleys over a BMW or Triumph which are both way ahead of the MoCo in the tech department. I would opt for a bike that had all the other neat tech stuff like different motor and tuning modes that can be selected on the fly, adjustable wind screens, etc. I would want something in return for being forced to ride like a novice while I learned a new braking technique.:bigsmiley25:

Na, I find you very enlightened here:s

Thanks Mr. Jack, you are too generous.

My quarrel is not with the ABS brakes; definitely an improvement. My problem is that the ABS brakes are now linked meaning the rider is not able to apply front or rear brakes as he deems appropriate in a given situation. Apply pressure to the front brake also applies pressure to the rear and visa versa. That was what "for the man that doesn't know how is brakes work" alluded to.

I am not saying linking the brakes is a good or bad feature, just saying that I prefer to decide when and how much brake to apply in any given situation; not a computer.

Ahhhh! Forgive me, I believe you are quite right regarding the "linked" brakes. Honda has been doing this for a very long time and I have NEVER heard or read about anyone liking this feature.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stopped by the Lakeland dealer today. They have already sold the water cooled bikes but did have some of the other 2014 models Checked out a street glide and a street glide special. I gotta admit, I like the changes they made to the operation of the saddlebags, it's now one and operation an easy to do.
As far as the new dash, me likey!! the premium radio on the special has a pretty large touch screen, flanked by speakers on each side. It also has a neat little "glove box" where you can put your cell phone where it is secure and out of the weather. You can also plug it in for charging. I really like the way the MoCo has incorporated the new changes, they seem well thought out an intuitive, although I might take awhile to relearn the control on the handlebars. Cruise control is on the left side and you now have a small four directional toggle switch on the right side. The only thing I'm not sure about if the vent they installed on the fairing. It is nicely executed but I'm not sure if it should be there. Seems to ruin the look of the bike to me. Sitting on the bike, it feels like the fairing is wider than on my 08, salesman didn't think so, but it sure felt that way to me. Anyway, I think the bikes are going to sell well.

Cannot help but wonder why they did not use LED on the headlight? I thought LED was the hot ticket in lighting now?

I have an 09 Road Glide and an 05 Goldwing. The Road Glide does not have linked brakes and the Goldwing does. I can't say that I have experienced much difference in how they brake. I do ride pretty conservatively and that might explain why I don't notice any difference.

(BTW, at least on the Wing, activating the front brake activates all of the front pistons but only a few of the back pistons. It is the reverse if the back brake is activated.)

I'd really like to hear the extent to which the new liquid cooled heads reduce the heat coming from the engine. I like a lot of the changes in the 2014 models and I might trade in my Road Glide and my Goldwing for a 2015 Road Glide if the amount of heat is significantly reduced.

Back