free website stats program 2014's are out | Page 15 | Harley Davidson Forums

2014's are out

H-D shops have not had to deal with the EPA regs on handling hazmat; I will probably never own any H-D later than '09.Now if the MoCo comes out with a bagger powered by a re-configured VRod motor, I would be impressed and could be talked into buying one of those.:hii

Never, unless they come out with a hazmat cooled bagger?

I'm so confused!<>???

Used motor oil is a hazardous waste[/B]. It contains heavy metals, contaminants and dirt discarded by the engine during use. Fortunately, used motor oil is dirty rather than worn out, so it can be recycled. However, motor oil is toxic to humans, wildlife and plants.

Now, what "costs" does a manufacturer NOT pass along to the customer?

OK, a poor choice of words on my part; both are hazmat. However, they are different classifications of hazmat with different procedures for disposal, chain of custody, etc. You can Fedex a gallon of oil to your cousin in Timbuktu but try to Fedex him a gallon of antifreeze. Try dumping your antifreeze off at Autozone in the bulk oil disposal tank. My point was/is that storing, handling, disposing of antifreeze and the associated record keeping is quite different from that of used oil.

At least we can agree that the consumer will bear the cost.:hii

OK, a poor choice of words on my part; both are hazmat. However, they are different classifications of hazmat with different procedures for disposal, chain of custody, etc. You can Fedex a gallon of oil to your cousin in Timbuktu but try to Fedex him a gallon of antifreeze. Try dumping your antifreeze off at Autozone in the bulk oil disposal tank. My point was/is that storing, handling, disposing of antifreeze and the associated record keeping is quite different from that of used oil.

I know this is off the subject here about the 2014's but the thing about used oil was you had to save the old oil for pick up and some type of recycling but it was not cost effect to process the used oil filters so it was decided that it was ok to discard oil filters after you had them sit open side down and drained into recycled oil tank. I always found that interesting when working in the automotive world and Harley dealer........

[/B]

Never, unless they come out with a hazmat cooled bagger?

I'm so confused!<>???

I don't have an issue with a "hazmat" cooled Harley Davidson. I simply spoke with a service manager at a local dealer and neither he nor his techs had been trained on servicing the 2014s. Nor did it seem that this shop was well prepared to deal with the additional cost of servicing the new models. JMHO, but I believe the cost of servicing and repairing the '14 models will be higher than that for previous models. The coolant was just one piece of the puzzle. I thought the conversation interesting, telling and worth passing on; nothing else.

As for a hazmat cooled bagger; yeah, if the MoCo was to get serious about true liquid cooling and produced a touring model based on the REVO motor and cooling system, I wouldn't care if it was cooled with Jack Daniels; I would be interested. However, the current 2014 offerings just don't do it for me; can't even get interested in riding to one of the four local area dealers to take a look.

Last edited by a moderator:

Be very care ful with oil and anti freeze storage and draining. The EPA has hit several shops here in Jacksonville with heavy fines for in correctly labeled containers and spillage

Had a good look at a 14 Ultra Limited today at the dealership. IMO the factory did a fantastic job of concealment with the "Twin Cooled" setup. I'm not into baggers but if I were, This would be the one for me!!

I found it interesting a local dealer in a video of the twin cooled bike describes the Harley sound a least a half dozen times in a 3 minute video. as if the water cooling should change that........ They even start bike up and video from rear of bike for 45 seconds so that you can hear exhaust sound.:shock

Back