free website stats program 2014's are out | Page 14 | Harley Davidson Forums

2014's are out

I must have got things wrong in my head as i thought the vrod's were all liquid cooled so the hd dealers should all be aware of service needs of a liquid cooled bike or perhaps you have to take it elsewhere to get the cooling system serviced
But i would not know for sure as there are no hd dealers around here i have only been in one once in my life

Brian

I must have got things wrong in my head as i thought the vrod's were all liquid cooled so the hd dealers should all be aware of service needs of a liquid cooled bike or perhaps you have to take it elsewhere to get the cooling system serviced
But i would not know for sure as there are no hd dealers around here i have only been in one once in my life

Brian

I agree Brian and the dealers have also been dealing with waste oil and it's disposal. I just don't think the maint. will be an issue. The dealer I go to is always sending their techs. back to school on the new models. I have thought that the V-Rod made a perfect bagger platform. And thanks dbmg for posting that Video, now I want one.:newsmile01:

I guess those lead filled batteries have been going to the landfill or in the ditch since kickers went out of fashion too. If I was a dealer, this coolant disposal thing would be the last straw and I'd have to look into, maybe a lawn mower dealership. At least THEY don't warm up my poor legs.

I guess those lead filled batteries have been going to the landfill or in the ditch since kickers went out of fashion too. If I was a dealer, this coolant disposal thing would be the last straw and I'd have to look into, maybe a lawn mower dealership. At least THEY don't warm up my poor legs.

I do believe they have a contract with Saftey Clean to recycle the oils and anti freeze, dont know who does the battery recycling

It's not so much the servicing; techs can be trained for that. H-D shops have not had to deal with the EPA regs on handling hazmat; anti-freeze is hazmat and you can't just toss it out the back door of the shop. A whole new world for HD shops which will carry a cost to be passed on to the customer.

Persoally, I didn't care for the later models before the '14s came out, own two early models myself. I flirted with the possibility of trading up when the 2010s came out so scheduled a test ride of a SG and Heritage softail. After the rides, there was no way I would get off my '02 FLHT for either of those bikes. The '14s are even less attractive to me and I will probably never own any H-D later than '09.

Now if the MoCo comes out with a bagger powered by a re-configured VRod motor, I would be impressed and could be talked into buying one of those.:hii

Do you really think this is HD first time dealing with hazmat?:shock

Nooooo!!!!!!! If I remember correctly Harley's used to pollute the environment in a hazmat kind of way every time you parked one......:shock

No, you all missed the point. Compare how many VRods are serviced to the number of touring models (the most popular model by the way) that are serviced at a dealer. Oil is not hazmat, you dump some on the ground and it won't kill the neighbors cat; anti-freeze will. All I am saying is that as more models are liquid cooled, the dealers are not going to absorb whatever the additional cost of servicing those vehicle is incurred by the dealer; that cost will be passed on to the consumer in one form or another.

I am not a "half radiator empty" type; just passing on an exchange that I had with the service manager of one of the four deaerships in my area. He was certainly not prepared, nor were his techs, for dealing with the new models. Perhaps he is the exception to the rule; I don't know and don't care.

Although I am not a fan nor am I interested in the new models, they are good looking bikes and apparently there are plenty of beta testers willing to pay the price to upgrade. I am happy to see the MoCo doing well and, as I have said in previous posts, I am loyal to the brand but will stick with the earlier models.:hii

No, you all missed the point. Compare how many VRods are serviced to the number of touring models (the most popular model by the way) that are serviced at a dealer. Oil is not hazmat, you dump some on the ground and it won't kill the neighbors cat; anti-freeze will. All I am saying is that as more models are liquid cooled, the dealers are not going to absorb whatever the additional cost of servicing those vehicle is incurred by the dealer; that cost will be passed on to the consumer in one form or another.

I am not a "half radiator empty" type; just passing on an exchange that I had with the service manager of one of the four deaerships in my area. He was certainly not prepared, nor were his techs, for dealing with the new models. Perhaps he is the exception to the rule; I don't know and don't care.

Although I am not a fan nor am I interested in the new models, they are good looking bikes and apparently there are plenty of beta testers willing to pay the price to upgrade. I am happy to see the MoCo doing well and, as I have said in previous posts, I am loyal to the brand but will stick with the earlier models.:hii

The additional cost will be in your shop supplies or hazard waste charge. It will go from a couple dollars to 10 or 20 dollars.....

To prepare tech's for new models means intensive training. Intensive training costs money. So them you may find shop supplies or hazard waste charge will now be 30-50 dollars. You would think Harley would have mandated some type of new vehicle training before dealer would be allowed to prep and sell bikes.....

But you are correct dolt, the customer is the one who will be absorbing cost so Harley maybe starting to price themselves out of market share, which I bet the competition is going to enjoy........

Oil is not hazmat, you dump some on the ground and it won't kill the neighbors cat;

According to :
The U.S Environmental Protection Agency, National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) : Used motor oil is a hazardous waste. It contains heavy metals, contaminants and dirt discarded by the engine during use. Fortunately, used motor oil is dirty rather than worn out, so it can be recycled. However, motor oil is toxic to humans, wildlife and plants.

Costs;
Costs for used motor oil recycling programs vary depending on whether a community has already established similar types of recycling programs. Major costs associated with oil recycling programs include costs for advertising and oil collection. While service stations and collection facilities often allow the public to drop off their oil free of charge, these facilities must pay a recovery service to collect and dispose of their accumulated oil. One such recovery service, US Filter, charges an annual fee of $179 for unlimited waste oil removal, or a $79 fee for one-time oil removal, from service stations, small garage owners, and other types of collection facilities. Costs for programs also vary, depending on whether oil is collected by curbside pickup or at drop-off facilities. As fees vary, check with a local recovery service for more specific information about oil collection fees.

Here is a link to the E.P.A. website.

EPA - Stormwater Menu of BMPs

Now, what "costs" does a manufacturer NOT pass along to the customer?

Back