free website stats program 2014's are out | Page 12 | Harley Davidson Forums

2014's are out

awww i don't want to change AGAIN!

you sound like me talking to my dad...:D

Maybe this will help then. Remember change means progress.... So it has to get better. Right????????????:shock

These motors WILL change regardless what we think...

EPA is one of the biggie's and the dieing off of the true Old Schools like Me and MANY others Holding to their Love of the 45* air cooled machines...

Going from Early Harleys, Pans, Shovels to the EVO's was Really tough for me. Bought a new 97 EVO then bought my first early 00 TC. Too early:( TC that only required a few of MANY Flaws changed:
cam ball bearing to roller, Shoe to gear drives, crank soft peeling off the hard surface New build ruined..Yada Yada yada.....

So I hear you lorne, I had to even Bight my tongue to go with This New TC. BUT like you said it is Air Cooled and Mostly still using Old Tech-knowledge to make cylinders go up and down...

I'll look like the many here will. BUT I Don't Plan to Buy one.

I agree,,,, IF I wanted water cooled???????????

WE don't have to CHANGE,,,,Plenty of Rebuild Parts out there.....:D

signed....BUBBIE

Think about it if you would...

The "Fire" is where the REAL Heat Problem is and Not needing to cool the crank area Other than the primary...

I'd bet a lot and that is a LOT of heat from the heads travels down into the total Casting put together on our HD's...

Thinking Primary:
My primary even with MTL runs really HOT to the touch. Bet them Cylinder connect to the Heads MUST transfer a LOT of heat down... Aluminum does distrubite the HEAT you know..

What are anybody's thoughts here???

signed....BUBBIE.......

I have been a steelworker all my life and I have a degree in metallurgy as well and this is where I am confused on this new 1/2 design. It takes years of development to figure out exactly what gaskets and tolerances will be compatible with dissimilar metals at high and low heat ranges. Now you cool the upper heat range without changing anything else in the motor. Something is going to fail unless they put more into the design then what I have seen in anything I have researched.

Steve07 Has ONE we Don't Have.....:devil

signed....BUBBIE

I have the button, but I got caught and I wont misuse it to avoid a bit of ribbing.

Maybe this will help then. Remember change means progress.... So it has to get better. Right????????????:shock

to a point...cam chain tensioners what a great idea cost me a lot of $$ on an 05 with 18k on the odometer,,,98 EVO not a dime on anything.

probably just me not understanding again....like Jack taking a photo

to a point...cam chain tensioners what a great idea cost me a lot of $$ on an 05 with 18k on the odometer,,,98 EVO not a dime on anything.

probably just me not understanding again....like Jack taking a photo

Sometime as we get older change becomes more difficult. We do not want to loose the level of comfort just to start all over again.............:s And actually the bells and whistle really do not make it operate better, it just that all the functionality is all one big link that inter twines all the modern technology....:p

Sometime as we get older change becomes more difficult. We do not want to loose the level of comfort just to start all over again.............:s And actually the bells and whistle really do not make it operate better, it just that all the functionality is all one big link that inter twines all the modern technology....:p

Great...now i need to go the the dealer and go for a ride...

sometimes you just make to much sense...

Great...now i need to go the the dealer and go for a ride...

sometimes you just make to much sense...

But remember if you do buy a 2014 you will not be able to work on it except possibly change the oils and filter.........:p
Remember a couple years back when we were talking about the CAN BUS system... One wire with a bunch of relays and signal switches to operate all the stuff. Bikes are as bad a cars any more. So you will have to own a older one just to be have something to work on.....:D

But remember if you do buy a 2014 you will not be able to work on it except possibly change the oils and filter.........:p
Remember a couple years back when we were talking about the CAN BUS system... One wire with a bunch of relays and signal switches to operate all the stuff. Bikes are as bad a cars any more. So you will have to own a older one just to be have something to work on.....:D

yup...back to hugging my EVO...to many things i just dont understand with the new. i have put more work into the 05 than into the 98...saying that the RKP is soooooo nice to ride

Went to Z&M to get a new speaker grill for my 97 and right out front was a brand new Ultra in red. There seem to be some good changes, the fairing is nice not too dramatic but looks functional. The saddle bags look bigger and the new latch is really nice compared to what we have been dealing with. The central command consol yeah not so much, we're getting tooo techy I think. The trunk appears to be a little shallower but can still hold a lot of gear. It's too bad MoCo can't seem to get the power plant into the 21st century. Don't get me wrong but when you have US competitors breathing down your neck with much more power and smoothness and ease of ownership/maintanence it would behoove you to get back out in front of it.
The water cooled head is a feeble attempt to rid the bike of heat, it might work but now you have added more destructive fluids to an already touchy design. I'm thinking since virtually every really great running car engine as well as motorcycle engine since somewhere back in ancient history has been using an overhead cam design and getting awsome results as far as performance and emissions management maybe that would be the route to go. Just sayin.....:hii

Spoke to the service manager at one of the three dealerships in my area last week. I asked him if his shop and techs were ready to deal with the introduction of the liquid cooled system and the impact on the shop. Things like, separate drain pans will be required to deal with anti-freeze; how will the shop dispose of the anti-freeze; what happens when the anti freeze spills out on anodized or painted finishes; how much time and expense will servicing the cooling system add to the standard 500/1000 mile service; etc. The service manager to the "deer in the headlights" look and admitted that he had not thought about such issues and the MoCo certainly hasn't prepared the dealers for this change. The impact of the liquid cooling is much more tha meets the eye.

Back