free website stats program 2014's are out | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2014's are out

How about the increased compression and bigger cams for low end tQ. Also claim to be the fastest 5th gear roll on from 60-80 in HD history for a stock bike. That's a little more than just a radio, not to mention the new fairing and easier access to everything that opens.

Amen!

As far as water cooling goes, I have been saying for some time now that it is INEVITABLE. Finally, all the "rumors" of a "water cooled Harley" can be laid to rest. EVERY Harley will be water cooled before too many more years. Going to start seeing some substantial increases in power output now too, the incremental Harley way of course.

I wonder if this will make the old school, non water cooled bikes more valuable??

If they don't burn up or blow up from crank run out issues:s

I think someones gonna be real nice to a certain "Redhead" in the near future to convince them that's why they need a new bike. And by the way, mine's a ginger redhead :lolrolling
WAP.gif

They've got about ten times as many specs for the radio as for the drivetrain, along with a touchscreen- just what every biker needs- and linked brakes with ABS, perfect for the man who doesn't know how his brakes work, and they don't even mention water-cooling, no specs or capacities for coolant, evidently hoping "twin-cooling" will trick traditionalists into thinking it doesn't have a radiator. They also have cell phone capability with the touchscreen readout.... Looks like there will no longer be any reason for a bagger pilot to keep his eyes on the road at all... Unfortunately for the rest of us on the road who actually like to RIDE our bikes.

I will crawl back under my rock now but will have more to add later.

How about the increased compression and bigger cams for low end tQ. Also claim to be the fastest 5th gear roll on from 60-80 in HD history for a stock bike. That's a little more than just a radio, not to mention the new fairing and easier access to everything that opens.

The specs for the new Rushmore 103 show that it makes 4.7 foot pounds of TQ than the "old" 103; certainly an improvement but hardly a major improvement. I don't know how much weight the cooling system has added to the water cooled models so not sure how the weight/torque compares,

As for the heat, not sure but adding radiators that throw off heat installed in lowers that appear unremovable in addition to the heat thrown off by the cats, not sure how much cooler the ride.
WAP.gif

I think someones gonna be real nice to a certain "Redhead" in the near future to convince them that's why they need a new bike. And by the way, mine's a ginger redhead :lolrolling
WAP.gif

Im trying to be good Al, but as you know Redheads are a challenge, good on you for having a redhead too:s

The specs for the new Rushmore 103 show that it makes 4.7 foot pounds of TQ than the "old" 103; certainly an improvement but hardly a major improvement. I don't know how much weight the cooling system has added to the water cooled models so not sure how the weight/torque compares,

As for the heat, not sure but adding radiators that throw off heat installed in lowers that appear unremovable in addition to the heat thrown off by the cats, not sure how much cooler the ride.

My bike is a 2013 Ultra Limited and running weight is 901 lbs. The new ones are 896 lbs. so they're actually a little lighter. I went and looked at them today, and the lowers are definitely not removable. Had a little plastic jug in there with orange looking coolant. I'd buy one if they give me a better price on my trade in, but I'm not taking 10 grand less than I just paid for it. I'll keep this one a little while longer, unless Waco HD makes me a good deal tomorrow. Probably need an electronics degree to figure out the touch screen thing. There's a little joystick on the right handlebars where the cruise control is on mine. Hmmmm......

I guess I'll join the "negative" train on this one. I got to spend a lot of "quality" time with a 2014 Limited yesterday. The radio... meh. I'd pass on it. I ride to ride... not to be stuck behind another LCD display. As for the complications of it, I'll watch for the new fairing vent as to avoid the HIGHLY distracted 2014 model riders for the next few months.

A few small things we also noticed:
- The cruise control and PTT CB toggles have been switched between grips (cruise is now on the left grip).
- The rear trunk is shallower (but wider)
- The rear saddle bags release from the inside and swing out
- The lower fairings (since they contain radiators) are no longer removable, and
- There are now only 5 gauges in the fairing (as opposed to the former 6)

Many other changes, obviously, but on to the big deal... the "liquid cooled" engine. Please do NOT be fooled. This is not a "true" liquid-cooled engine; there is no water jacket around the cylinders. These are "liquid-cooled headers"... please see the below link with the 2009 filed patent by Harley-Davidson. After personally seeing the set-up, these drawings and schematics are pretty accurate to the final product.

Harley-Davidson Cylinder Head Liquid Cooling Patent

So as you can see, H-D has implemented a cooling method to improve the emissions output. As a (minimal) side effect, the heads will run slightly cooler. This could result in mild performance increases and possibly a noticeable lowering in the heat perception to the inner legs (but the obvious catalytic converter will still broil your calves). But this EPA appeasement was at a very high cost. The lowers are no longer removable and air flow (beyond the lowers) is greatly diminished. There is obviously no storage in the lowers (as it is now full of radiators, tubing, and a coolant reservoir). Finally, just imagine what the repair bill will look like next time you find your precious motor on its side and on the engine guard. :S

But the good news... great deals to be had on those 2013s!

Back