free website stats program 2009 Street Glide Improvements over 2008 | Page 19 | Harley Davidson Forums

2009 Street Glide Improvements over 2008

Did you get the original 6.5" or the new 3.5" Klock Werks Flare? I have the 6.5" on my 09 SG, but was wondering if anybody had tried the 3.5".

Teleman / My wife complained of the same thing so I made a new sissy bar that sits further back by about two inches. The hardest thing about making the new sissybar was bending the 5/8" (16mm) bar and guestimating the angles to make it look right.

On the old sissy bar (that was too short as well), the bar itself was in line with the rear of the seat making the backrest pad sit forward over the seat. Initially I set the bar and backrest too far back and she complained that her bum hung over the end of the seat so I straightened up the bar and the backrest pad is now level with the back of the seat and she is now happy.

GB

Great. Pictures please! - I just took a look at it again. I think I can heat and bend it rather than cutting and welding. Either way it'll have to be re-chromed. I sent HD a letter. Their reply was "we have not had any complaints"...yeah, right. Go figure........

wow. just stumbled on this thread while researching the 2009 Street Glide. I plan to buy one within the next two weeks. Two hours later, thanks for all the great info in here.

Question: I'm thinking of of adding the Screamin eagle Heavy Breather and SE slip-ons at the time of purchase. I noticed a lot of people here are using the Rush slip-ons. Is there a reason why I shouldn;t go with SE...i'm thinking it will keep the warranty...perhaps the Rush slip-ons don't keep the warranty?

Thanks again for your great help. I'm looking forward to doing more research on this site.

Thanks for your quick reply Glider. Sounds like HD dealers do not "test" the limits and make you prove your mod didn't cause the failure...

Quite the opposite, they have to prove your mod did cause the problem, they can't just say the warranty is void for no reason and it's only on the part that is effected, not the entire warranty.

Just a sidenote........there's been a lot of discussion about the need (or lack thereof) for fuel delivery modifications when altering the intake and or stock exhaust. This being my first injected bike, I'm in uncharted territory for the most part.

For what it's worth, I put on a set of "Rush" 2" slipons (which IMHO are perfect sounding for a bike with a fairing meaning they sound way better than stock, but are not obnoxious and allow you to hear the stereo with no problem) and a K&N stock replacement filter before butting the bike in hibernation for the winter.

The bike seems to run fine, but with warm weather approching I decided to ask the dealer if he would reccomend flashing the ECM or some other fuel mod. because I dont want the bike running too lean and running hot this summer.

He asked if I changed the stock backing plate and I said no. Then he said if I all I did was swap the filter and swap the mufflers, I didnt need to do anything to the fuel delivery system. Appearently the ECM will make the needed adjustments.

I can definately feel a bit more power with the changes, especially when pulling a good hill and I'm not one of those who has to have the fastest bike in the group, so the mods I've made suit me well.

Probably the best mod I've done wich I'd reccomend to anyone riding a touring bike is the floorboard extensions. My legs are way more comfortable and their cheap and simple to install.

Anyway, just thought I'd share this in hopes it will help somebody.

Teleman

The swapping of the K&N for the original filter inside the stock housing really doesn't lean the mixture out so the dealer was partially correct in that it didn't give you much improvement as far as flow to effect the fuel mixture.
The stock 02 sensors will adjust somewhat but they will still bring you back to the original lean settings as dictated by EPA. An engine is basically an air pump so if you put more air/fuel in and better exhaust it will run more efficiently and produce better power.
I would suggest adding some fuel on your own to overcome the lean condition with a unit like the TFI and you will see a difference in the running. It's an easy install and you can set it to the way you want it to run unlike the factory settings.
Also as an FYI, replacing the filter with the K&N like you have done would have gotten much better results if you went to the stage 1 with the taller filter. The short K&N replacement in the stock air box only nets you the fact that you can clean and reuse the filter as opposed to replacing it at service time. The increased flow using that unit is marginal at best.

EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection Controllers - Motorcycle, ATV, Snowmobile, UTV

Back