free website stats program Winter Project! 1988 Sportster Basket Case :/ | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

Winter Project! 1988 Sportster Basket Case :/

Thank you guys
I'll be tackling down the pushrod project this coming Monday ..
In the mean time I got an stethoscope to make sure I know where exactly the sound comes from.
I'll keep you updated

Ok... I'm back....
I opened the intake pushrod cover that is making the sound.. to check it out...
Here are my findings;
1-in its lower position or based circle the rod is a little to tight (I can't turn it with my fingers) the other ones aren't like that.
2-I decided to loosen it 1 flat so it will be the same as the other ones & the instructions in the links provided...got everything back together, waited advised time and came back & fire up...the noise is even louder than before.

3-I notice when turning the rod with my fingers that the pushrod cover moves at some points acting as is the rod is bent (is that possible?)

4- next day, I decided to get everything exactly to the point I found it in the first place.. ( I had marked everything )
I readjusted everything and when to get some lunch and came back installed the plugs fired it up and ....., the noise was gone ! Well, sort of... Cause I had forgotten to get the cover over the rod) the interesting thing is that if the cover isn't on, there is no sound... The cover is back on & the sound is back to the beginning.
Any thoughts on this?

I'm planning to just take all the pushrods apart and double check them & at the same time figure out the TPI so I can adjust accordingly.

Meanwhile if you guys have any ideas based in this info please let me know..

As always thank you much :)

Ps: Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Ok... I'm back....
I opened the intake pushrod cover that is making the sound.. to check it out...
Here are my findings;
1-in its lower position or based circle the rod is a little to tight (I can't turn it with my fingers) the other ones aren't like that.
2-I decided to loosen it 1 flat so it will be the same as the other ones & the instructions in the links provided...got everything back together, waited advised time and came back & fire up...the noise is even louder than before.

3-I notice when turning the rod with my fingers that the pushrod cover moves at some points acting as is the rod is bent (is that possible?)

4- next day, I decided to get everything exactly to the point I found it in the first place.. ( I had marked everything )
I readjusted everything and when to get some lunch and came back installed the plugs fired it up and ....., the noise was gone ! Well, sort of... Cause I had forgotten to get the cover over the rod) the interesting thing is that if the cover isn't on, there is no sound... The cover is back on & the sound is back to the beginning.
Any thoughts on this?

I'm planning to just take all the pushrods apart and double check them & at the same time figure out the TPI so I can adjust accordingly.

Meanwhile if you guys have any ideas based in this info please let me know..

As always thank you much :)

Ps: Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Pushrod could be bent or rubbing in the tube, I would remove it and check it out:s If it is bent that would explain the noise

I would go with your plan of removing them all and redoing it myself, just so I know it was done right.
WAP.gif

Ok... Removed the pushrod, tappet guide & lifter for the FI..
Here is what I found ...the tapped guide is broken :( crazy but here are the pics.
Now, if this isn't the reason for the tapping/ticking noise, I'll be really puzzled ..
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353548481.537262.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1353548492.325747.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1353548507.373825.jpg

Don't you just love the thrill of discovery?

Enjoy,
Rich P

Definitely ! I'm really happy I found that and really hope that would take care of the noise.
Now, I'm having another problem and that is that the Tappet Guide part # 18617-86 I can't find it anywhere in the net not even ebay or google... Called the Local HD dealer and they told me the part is obsolete and not much help from them..
Anyone here could guide me where to look for it?

Thanks

Definitely ! I'm really happy I found that and really hope that would take care of the noise.
Now, I'm having another problem and that is that the Tappet Guide part # 18617-86 I can't find it anywhere in the net not even ebay or google... Called the Local HD dealer and they told me the part is obsolete and not much help from them..
Anyone here could guide me where to look for it?

Thanks
Typically, for superceding P/Ns, HD slaps an A, B, C, etc. Start with trying 18617-86A, then move on from there.

Good luck,
Rich P

Back