free website stats program Winter Project! 1988 Sportster Basket Case :/ | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Winter Project! 1988 Sportster Basket Case :/

Ok, I couldn't wait to figure out what kind of push rods I had. So, I ran to the garage and this is what I found.... Now, if these are the adjustable ones.. Wouldn't it be worth the try to just adjust them to see if that fix the noise? If so how do I go about it?
Thanks again

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352422511.231020.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352422511.231020.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 12
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352422706.208623.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352422706.208623.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 27
Ok, I couldn't wait to figure out what kind of push rods I had. So, I ran to the garage and this is what I found.... Now, if these are the adjustable ones.. Wouldn't it be worth the try to just adjust them to see if that fix the noise? If so how do I go about it?
Thanks again

Harley Davidson Community If you know what brand they are you may find the manufactures instructions

Last edited by a moderator:
Before you start adjusting make sure it is not an exhaust leak. If that checks out you will need to know Manuf. or at least TPI on the adjuster.

I agree with HDDon on the exhaust leak.The link that Capital Jack posted in #53 is full of good info. Be sure if you adjust them that the motor is Stone Cold. I usually let it sit overnight at least. Oh to answer your question,yep that's an adjustable push rod.
tourbox

Hi everyone...
Alright I'm back with more info an questions.
I've spend sometime working in some details and also trying to figure out where exactly is the ticking noise coming from.
I ruled out exhaust leaks ...I might have had a small one at the beginning but now is taken care of.
I hunted down the noise and it definitively comes from the front cylinder's intake pushrod .... If I touch that rod while the bike is running I can feel the vibration of the tapping sound and all the other 3 feel smooth.

Now questions....
First of all how can I figure out the brand/manufacture of the rods without messing up with it? Or where in the rod can I get a clue & do I have to take it out to do that?
Is there a chance that the problem isn't the rod but the valve spring ? If so how do I figure that out?
I'm researching as much as I can but won't touch it until I get some guidance (just afraid of messing up something.

As always, thank you

Hi everyone...
I've spend sometime working in some details and also trying to figure out where exactly is the ticking noise coming from.
I ruled out exhaust leaks ...I might have had a small one at the beginning but now is taken care of.
I hunted down the noise and it definitively comes from the front cylinder's intake pushrod .... If I touch that rod while the bike is running I can feel the vibration of the tapping sound and all the other 3 feel smooth.

Now questions....
First of all how can I figure out the brand/manufacture of the rods without messing up with it? Or where in the rod can I get a clue & do I have to take it out to do that?
Is there a chance that the problem isn't the rod but the valve spring ? If so how do I figure that out?
I'm researching as much as I can but won't touch it until I get some guidance (just afraid of messing up something.

As always, thank you

Start with a cold motor, raise the pushrod tubes, count the threads for a starting point then adjust the pushrod, do a compression test also this should tell you if you have a valve problem, if you could hook up a vacuum gauge while the bike is running if the needle bounces alot it would indicate valve train problems Harley Davidson Community

Hi everyone...

Now questions....

As always, thank you

Try adjusting the pushrods with the link in #53 on a cold engine, prior to adjustment count the treads so you have a reference point. A vacuum gauge hooked up to the intake would tell you if you have valve train problems, look for a bouncing needle

The exhaust pushrods have the larger machined band at the top (rocker end) in ones I've seen. Hard to give advice w/o knowking the P/N of the pushrods because there is different rotations to fit. Here's a quickie breakdown: 1A) On a cold engine with transmission in 5th gear, raise & rotate rear wheel until until both front tappets are at their lowest points (off lobes). 1B) loosen pushrods until at their shortest length and allow tappets to bleed down for tens minutes. 2) Adjust pushrods to zero lash (rotates easily with fingers with no up/down movement). 3) Rotate as follows:
KIT #17987-98= 4 TURNS ON ADJUSTERS
KIT #17900-87= 3 TURNS ON ADJUSTERS
KIT #17900-84A= 3 TURNS ON ADJUSTERS
KIT #17901-86= 3 TURNS ON ADJUSTERS
KIT #17987-98A= 2.5 TURNS ON ADJUSTERS

3) Wait ten minutes for tappets to bleed down or you may damage valve train! 4) Collapse pushrod by turning adjuster CW (viewed from bottom) until there is noticeable lash or free-play. 5) Turn adjuster until there is zero clearance in valve train. Pushrod should turn with no drag or up/down shake.
6) turn wheel until rear tappets are at their lowest and repeat steps above.

Don't know if this covers yours; if you're not sure use 2.5 turns first (minimum lift) and work up until noise disappears.

Back