free website stats program Winter Project! 1988 Sportster Basket Case :/ | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Winter Project! 1988 Sportster Basket Case :/

Ok... Got the tins installed ...it looks sick !
Got some gas on it and took it for a spin...Good news are The Transmission seems to be right on spot..smooth like butter up & down!
Bad news the is a ticking sound I believe comes from the front cylinder it's actually really annoying and sort of loud when you are riding it..
I made this video to show the progress & you guys perhaps can hear it and guide me on what to do.
Thanks everyone :)
1988 sportster basket case! - YouTube

The bike looks real good, you should be Proud. As far as the noise,ticking sound goes it could be lifter not pumping up or a push rod out of adjustment. I believe it came with non adjustable push rods, however the adjustable type is available for your model.Stock one have 3 different lengths according to the book. Did you have to assemble the motor? If you don't have a manual for it I would get one. Figuring out the length of the push rod for proper location is a bit tricky.They have color codes but not like a Big Twin.
tourbox

You checked the exhaust for leaks, right?

I spent the night researching the forum...and exhaust leaks are the first thing in my list today...especially because when putting it together I found a leak in the front and I tried to fix it but will double check today.. (It's an aftermarket exhaust )

@Turbox... Nope I did not put the engine together, it already came assembled I had to mount it to the frame etc but no engine work from me.
I have two manuals 1 that came with the bike (not so good) and 1 I got here in the forum that is great.

I will check for exhaust leaks and report back later today.

Maurice

At the age your bike is it could be 1 or more of the lifters that are not pumping up and may need to be replaced
It is not a hard job to replace the lifters just a wee bit of a pest to do
You will have to remove the rocker box covers and loosen the rockers to allow the push rods to be extracted mark the push rods so that you fit them in the correct place collapse and remove the push rod tubes etc and the lifters can be extracted using a magnet
then drop in new lifters and reassemble with new seals and gaskets

Brian

If you suspect the exhaust as the problem, fold some cardboard and use a glove, stop up the exhaust and listen for a leak or a whistle sound. Check the gaskets and re torque the exhaust to 10 ft lbs staggering the procedure, run it up to operating temperature and re check the torque. If that does not solve the tick you will have to look at the lifters, good luck, you have done a good job so far:s

Fin 676 is correct on dis-assembly of the Rocker Boxes to remove your push rods, if they are not adjustable type. But you will need to remove the tappet block to get the lifter out. It comes out the bottom of the lifter block. After taking out the allen screw for each block you rotate the rear blocks counter clock wise, front ones clockwise. This aligns to slot so you pry them up a little with a screw driver, then lift out. They should be stamped for each location,ex. RI & RE. I would check for that after removing the 1st. one.If it isn't there I would label it with a sharpie. I believe there is an O-Ring on it, I would replace those also.
tourbox

Hey guys thank you
Quick question ... How do I know if the ones in there are the adjustable type?
I pick up a couple of gigs for this weekend (well needed cash :) so won't be working on it till Monday but I want to know what to look for..

Take the pushrod covers off, OEM are solid with no adjustment nuts.

Back