free website stats program Winter Project! 1988 Sportster Basket Case :/ | Harley Davidson Forums

Winter Project! 1988 Sportster Basket Case :/

Maustarman

Hi everyone
Today I found my winter project ...a basket case... It literally comes in 3 baskets of stuff and the guy I got it from suers it's all there.
It's a 1988 sportster 883 with a rebuilt transmission and a 1200 kit zero miles on it... Lots of receipts for parts etc and the guy seem nice enough that I trusted him...so, we will see. I'm a little scared to be honest :( I'm sure ill have lots of questions along the way..

welcome to the forum.... sounds like your going to have your hands full for the winter..looking forward to reading the about the progress and seeing the photos. if you know Jack don't let him take the photos...but his advice is spot on :D

Sounds like a good project please keep us updated on progress with lots of photos

Brian

Before you touch anything make sure you get a service manual. That book will be invaluable as you begin your project. Good luck and we will all be very interested in your progress.

Welcome to the forum. If you haven't already bought it, check that the clutch basket/rotor assembly (yes, one unit) is in good condition. The stator (coils) bolt behind it. It was a 3 year only design, and is CRAZY expensive to replace.

Welcome to The Forum and good luck with your project. Did you get a title or a bill of sale?

Thank you everyone..
I guess the Big question I have is ... Where do I even start???
Some info so you guys have a better idea... Here you go:

Me: I like tinkering around with stuff especially motorcycles, got a fair amount of tools around, a lift table and have the repair manual for this bike.
The Project:
1988 Sportster 883 Hugger
The bike has been out of commission for 16 years.
The previous owner told me that the transmission when bad in 1996 since than he had his dad rebuilt the transmission & clutch and while he was at it they decided to convert to 1200
They took the frame to get powder coated and clear coated, engine cases, Valve covers and front end got plated/ chromed.
Lots and lots of miscellaneous stuff brand new in bins/baskets ie: forward controls, risers, fancy Pegs, grips etc,
New paint Job (white Pearl)
The engine is back in the frame, so are the wheels, front end, electrical etc is installed.
It doesn't have the carb installed, Tins or Seat or brakes.
I plugged in a spare battery &Lights seem to work except for the turn signals.
Now... Where do I start? I guess carb?All advise and or comments highly appreciated and welcome.
Thank you

Hi there
I just want to say Tank you for all your advise so far...@Rubyred the copy of the manual its awesome...(the manual I got seems quite old and not user friendly)
I'm a little doubtful of my skills but really looking forward to this adventure with all of you!

Maurice

Back