free website stats program Winter Project! 1988 Sportster Basket Case :/ | Page 9 | Harley Davidson Forums

Winter Project! 1988 Sportster Basket Case :/

Just a thought, but have you determined what caused it to crack like that in the first place??? Normal wear & tear maybe??? If that's the case, the others might not be far behind. If something caused it to crack, you should find out what it was before installing a new, hard to find part. Or order extras just in case :D

@Glazier...
Well, I think I have at least a guess of what happen & that is that the damaged occurred due to negligence by the person who last installed them.....
*the engine was completely rebuilt and upgraded to 1200 along with a new clutch and transmission ...the engine was never run after the rebuilt until about 3 weeks ago that I finally put the whole bike together after 14years so, the bike has about .5 of a mile on it.
It seems to me the guide was forced in in a slightly offset way causing the braking of it but he didn't realize that happen.
Or at least that's what putting my hopes into.

Just a thought, but have you determined what caused it to crack like that in the first place??? Normal wear & tear maybe??? If that's the case, the others might not be far behind. If something caused it to crack, you should find out what it was before installing a new, hard to find part. Or order extras just in case :D
I would do all of them as well. I would prefer a full match all around in a case like this.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Hi everyone,
So I finally got sometime to post more.
I got the Tappet guide with the different # and it look exactly the same but the Tappet fitted a lil to tight in there... So I decided to buy a set of new ones...while I was at it I got new tappets just in case, so I got screaming eagles cuz I a good deal.
Now, after installing them and adjusting the rods to the right set up (the are 24 TPI) I still have the sound :(
Its without a doubt coming from the FI rod/Tappet guide or Tappet area....
I tried to replicate the sound while the bike was off and made a lil video for you guys to watch and let me know what you think.
You can hear the tap/knock sound when that specific pushrod goes down ... Is as if the tapped goes down faster than the rod or something in there. It definitive does not make that sound in any of the other rods. I turned the wheel really slowly to try to caught the sound in the video with out other noise contamination.
Anyhow, here is the vid ... HD Sportster tap/knock noise - YouTube

I've been researching in the net and someone also recommended to look into the Cams...
Is that a safe place to star looking into?
I know the the bike has brand new Andrews cams installed with all the 1200 conversion etc but don't know much else...
Just a reminder here...the bike hasn't been run for more than a mile since all the work.

You might want to look into the cam chest, if it has one. If one of the cam bearings has failed, that could cause the cam to tap in its race each time it is trying to push up on a pushrod. Also, it could cause the cam to rotate excentrically, applying off-axis pressure on the lifters. That could be why one broke like it did.

Good luck,
Rich P

Remove the push rods prior to removing the gear case cover to take the pressure off the cams as there are bearings in the cover when removing it some of the cams may stay with the cover or just fall out when the cover is removed
Just make sure you put them back in the correct order with all the marks lined up there is plenty of info in the service manual on how they all go together again

Brian

Back