free website stats program Who here rides in the Rain? | Page 10 | Harley Davidson Forums

Who here rides in the Rain?

Not if I can avoid it. I'm more of a timid rider. Even in my youth, I went easy. Now that I'm older, I've even slowed down more. I find I'm perfectly happy at the speed limit but I'll bump it by as much as 5-10 if pushed. I'll not head out in rain but will ride in it if I must. It's not a lack of trust in myself or the Ultra, it's more of a distrust of the cagers.

Brotha, ya said it ALL! By riding easy, you got the chance to GET older! :) The speed limits are fine with me because I enjoy each mile I ride, so what if it takes me a few minutes more? Oh well! I won't purposely head out in the rain, but I have faith that neither I nor my bike will dissolve if wet! And yes, the cagers DO bear a lot more consideration as they ride along in their dry cocoon with the radio blaring, wipers slapping, defrosters blowing and the cell phone ringing, all behind those sealed windows. :small3d031:

I've heard that riding in the rain will harm our beloved chrome. Is this true? Plus, I'd think that riding in the rain would get the scoot dirty and take many hours of laborious detailing to make it shine again.

I've heard that riding in the rain will harm our beloved chrome. Is this true? Plus, I'd think that riding in the rain would get the scoot dirty and take many hours of laborious detailing to make it shine again.
I never heard that it would "harm" the chrome. Maybe the acid rain or something but yeah, then the scoot does get dirty and that becomes a cleaning issue. I would rather not ride in the rain given the choice but in the summer months you're bound to get caught in a shower sooner or later. Especially if you wander far from home, and I do that a lot. As far as cleaning the bike goes, it goes along with the territory for me. A lot of the guys at work recoil at the thought of cleaning all of the chrome that I have on my bike. They have told me that is something that they wouldn't like to do but that is them. I really don't mind getting up early on a Saturday morning taking a mug of coffee outside with me, listening to talk radio, jacking up the bike and taking my time waxing the bike. I do it in stages, washing and drying it the night before and then covering it so all that I have to do is wax it the next day. This way I don't put all that time into it in one sitting. It might sound corny but I find it relaxing and rewarding. Especially when I stand back from it and marvel at how nice she looks! Then I proudly take her for a ride with the fruits of my labor paying dividends! :D

I just caught up with this thread. Back in my first go-round riding, I'd ride March to November. Rain or shine. I've made trips where my boots took a week to fully dry out afterwards.

Just got back in the saddle this month after a long absence from riding. Last week I decided to take the bike for an errand 30 minutes away. On the way home I got caught in torrential rain storms with 60+ mph winds and pea sized hail.

It scared me to death at first. Just slowed it down a bit, cruised steady, was light on the brake and easy on the shifting. I think I'm ready to be back on the bike, rain or shine again after that.

I will do it but I try to avoid it. As others have said it's not the rain that bothers me but the hours of cleaning later

I'm with the majority here. Don't really like to head out when it's already raining or a sure thing in the forecast. That didn't stop us from gearing up and riding the first 4 hours of our trip to Bike Week in the rain, though! Totally different when you have a destination and a bit of a schedule to keep to.

Now if you're out riding and get caught in it, it has to be pretty bad to force me into hiding. If it's warm enough, I'll keep riding and just blow dry when it stops raining!

If someone comes up with a plug-in visor that will "defrost" I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Buy yourself a snowmobile helmet for when it's cold. You can get them with the electric shields that even come with leads to attach to the battery. I always wear my snowmobile jacket, helmet and gloves when it's cold out and I wana ride.

On another note if you lived further north you just ride snowmobiles in the winter. To me motorcycles are what gets me through the summer until the next snowmobiling season. Unbelievable scenery, nice smooth trails, no speed limits and no idiots in cars to worry about. :bigsmiley12:

DSCF0392.jpg

The winter crew. Over half of us ride bikes in the summer.

DSCF0390.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back