free website stats program Watch out 4 those deer (GORY PICS) | Page 9 | Harley Davidson Forums

Watch out 4 those deer (GORY PICS)

Well, from the time I seen it I was on the brakes and got it slowed to 25mph there was no avoiding it when it ran in front of me. It was right there. It was either hit it in the side or lay it down. I had always heard to lay it down if a large object was unavoidable. I still hit it but not dead on. Im just wondering what to do in the future. Im positive I will run into more deer while Im riding. There is alot around here.
To give you an idea on the size. Here is a pic of one that weighs 257#
257deer.jpg

Last edited:
I have covered many an accident between deer and autos. Direct hits are not encouraging for those without the "cage". We advise those in autos not to try and avoid a direct hit as there is a great liklihood they will lose control. It is safer to take the deer head on. However, on a bike, IF you cannot STOP or SAFELY alter your travel path, lay it down. Good luck with the recovery.

Guess I'm the dissenting vote. Going back to what I've been told about dirt bike riding, if you get on the brakes (bad bumps or other things) you're going to go down. Get on the gas and "power" thru it. I've never had to do this, but this is what I've been told by a riding instructor. Tracy

I've been an EMT up here in the Northwoods of Wisconsin For 16 years and we see several bike/deer accident each summer. Now this isn't by far anything scientific, but I see far worse outcomes when riders are knocked off the bike verses a controlled (ya right) lay down. Just my opinion but far better to lay it down on your turms then lay it down because a solid object made you, and thats almost always what happens.

The philosophy (from what I've been told---not personal experience) is that by getting on the gas "powers" the bike thru the impact maintaining balance and the bike stays up with you on it. If you get on the brakes, forward momentum is lost and balance goes the opposite way of the impact.

Hopefully I'll never have to make that choice, Just saying that's what I was told to do by an instructor. Kinda makes sense, but hope I don't have to find out. Tracy

I have heard that you scrub off as much speed as possible, then try an evasive countersteer maneuver towards the head/heart area of the deer...which will make you just miss the backend of a moving deer.

JMO I would never try to "lay her down" as the "rubber side" has much more traction than shiny chrome and metal, especially without engine guards to prevent bike from getting on top and pinning the rider underneath.

I have been fortunate in my short riding career, & only had 2 instances where I had to rely on my 'instincts'. Both with vehicles coming in from a side street.....I thought they had me both times. The first instance was on a 55 mph road & 5 or 6 other bikes were in front of me, & 2 were behind me. This guy runs a red & I had to just 'lock 'em up'. Smoke was rolling, (I was on my dual sport that time), the 2 behind me were impressed too. :) The bad part was I didn't know all the things that locking up the brakes could cause on a motorcycle, (I did know about bicycles), but I suppose I was lucky to get through that okay, even though I didn't get hit, I could have easily lost control of the bike & went down.

The 2nd instance was with hubby in South Carolina. We were on a small road near the beach on Oak Island, and he went by a side road, (we had the right of way) & some guy in a truck just cruising along at a pretty good pace & I was sure he was going to run the stop sign, (it was a 'T' type intersection for him), so I figured I could open it up & see how fast the deuce could go, or swerve off the pavement into soft sand. I gassed it & got by, but I was pretty scared from that.

I don't know what I would do in your situation, I guess rely on instincts & hope I make the best choice. Thanks for posting that question, if I read enough & have a plan in my head for a situation, I will hopefully not hesitate too long....hmmmm. BTW, the 'I've always heard that this is what you do in this scenario' saved me a lot of skin on my bicycle more than once. I hope it can do the same on a 700 lb bike.

I hope you have had a speedy recovery and most of all your able to resume the normal life that you lead before your accident, hope your able to ride again

Wow - I hope you are ok? My prayers for your therapy to go well. "Gory Pics" and well you gotta look. Then I almost fell out of my chair when I saw what your bed faced. The irony huh? God Bless you Hun.

I am no great experienced rider. Never met a deer on the road - Wow - knock on wood. But in the Riders Edge course - they tell you to always lay the bike down. More fatalities happen in "over the handle bar" crashes than in "laying your bike down" crashes. If you can not avoid it - and I have hit deer with my truck and they come out of no where - then I would think laying the bike down was your best bet. I feel the flying over the handle bars option and death fatality it due to head and neck injuries.

Hopefully your "view" has changed and you are feeling better and therapy is going well. For the person who left you out in the open injured and vulnerable to get hit by another vehicle - shame on them. That doesn't come close to my real thoughts - but I don't want to get in trouble. God Bless.

Back