free website stats program Things You Should Never Use On Or Do To Your Bike. | Page 10 | Harley Davidson Forums

Things You Should Never Use On Or Do To Your Bike.

Don't use any Clorinated cleaners like "Royal Purple" on alum. or painted areas. Non-Clorinated cleaner like "Simple Green" only on Grimy areas works good... After using wipe off residue w/damp clean rag... Then Pledge it.

If you want to keep your bike dry when you cover it buy a goldenrod from a marine (boat) dealer and mount it to a 2X4 or 2X6 and place it under the bike. If you can't find a goldenrod or want a cheeper version go to a music store and buy a 50W piano damper, same as a goldenrod only with a plastic case instead of aluminum. Either one will keep the moisture from your ride.

Never put cheap gas in you ride. I did (forgot to fill up before a long ride & it was the only gas station for miles around) and ended up having to dismantel my entire fuel system on the side of the road, finding things in my tank that shouldn't be in fuel (worm, grains of sand). I went back to gas station and complained, the owner explained that he had not fixed a crack in the holding tanks and offered to give me free tank of fuel (no thanks)

Never use never dull to polish your bike. i didn't get in all of and it tarnished my cylinders. It took the black finish right off of the cylinders.:(

Don’t wash your bike at the car wash on the way home from work when the temperature drops below freezing as the clutch and throttle cables will not move freely

Don’t use the squeegee at the gas station to clean bugs off your windshield as it always seems to have sand on it

Don’t use a wheel lock unless you run one of those bungee cords from it to the throttle so you remember to take it off. As a backup you should be able to pick your bike up

Don’t leave your 800 pound motorcycle on the Sears motorcycle lift for an extended period as you might have to find a creative way to remove it when the hydraulic jack portion fails

Don’t use Brake cleaner on your rotors without goggles as it has a tendency to ricochet off if held too closely. The 15 minutes they recommend flushing your eyes will seem like an eternity. Afterwards you won’t be sure if you have done permanent damage by the brake cleaner or the flushing

Don’t drop anything metallic into the engine case when you are checking your oil (non Harley) several hours from home unless there is a hardware store nearby that’s still open to sell you a pair of really long needle nose pliers

Don’t forget to cover up your mother’s trailer siding before you decide to paint your frame using black spray paint or be prepared to make alternative living arrangements for a while :D

Easy off is rough on paint. Get the pipes hot spray the easy off on a cloth away from the bike and do the job. Then rinse the easy off residue off and clean the pipes with a good chrome cleaner. Works great if you are careful, but you need to remove any residue because it is caustic to everything.

Always grab a towel when filling up and hold it over the end of the gas nozzle when putting it in your tank and removing it to avoid getting gas on your tank.

do not add 2-1/2 qts of oil to a bike thats been sitting for 8+ months. because you thought you did the right thing & checked the oil (empty) then added some, it will come belching back out at the end of the driveway!

Never put cheap gas in you ride. I did (forgot to fill up before a long ride & it was the only gas station for miles around) and ended up having to dismantel my entire fuel system on the side of the road, finding things in my tank that shouldn't be in fuel (worm, grains of sand). I went back to gas station and complained, the owner explained that he had not fixed a crack in the holding tanks and offered to give me free tank of fuel (no thanks)

I've heard of bugs in the fueling system, but not worms...yecchh...makes you want to disinfect the bike...!:newsmile030:

Back