free website stats program Things You Should Never Use On Or Do To Your Bike. | Harley Davidson Forums

Things You Should Never Use On Or Do To Your Bike.

glider

Veteran Member
Smitty901 came up with the idea about things that you shouldn't do to or use on your bike.

Let's try to keep this post on topic without all the extra chat and we can all learn something here that may save us some grief.

I would rather see Pledge on the entire bike than Windex. That has ammonia in most brands which isn't good for painted parts and will strip any wax off the rest of the bike when you use it.

Since they became available I only use Harley wash and wax products. My 1988 Electra Glide Sport still has the original paint job and it is still shiny and sparkles. Do not use rubbing compound on today's paint jobs motorcycle or cars. It will dull the clear on top of the color. Fossil

The turtle wax ice is about the biggest pain to take off of any of the waxes I have ever tried. I'll never use it again.

Never use loose fitting or worn tools on your bike...loose may mean you are using a Metric tool on an SAE sized fastener or vice versa. If fastener seems too tight, do not force it, especially if it does break loose but still is tight... could be cured Red Loctite on the fastener, so sometimes a bit of fresh Locktite has sufficient solvent to leach down into the threads and allow easier removal or use heat gun as a last resort (don't ask how I found out about this). A hand impact tool has hardened phillips bits and the larger knurled handle provides great turning force without damaging fasteners, only rarely will you need the hammer "impact" feature.

Back