free website stats program Things You Should Never Use On Or Do To Your Bike. | Page 8 | Harley Davidson Forums

Things You Should Never Use On Or Do To Your Bike.

never use Armour All on the seat or you will have a heck of a time staying in the saddle

make sure to always unhook the battery before welding or soldering on the bike or bad mojo may be heading your way and you will be doing more electrical work than you wish to do!!

always unhook the battery cables before removing the primary or messing with the starter and or the jack shaft as many of fingers have been ran thru the clutch basket that many will not admit what really happened!

Last edited by a moderator:
use a leaf blower to dry your bike completly after washing it. including all your handlebar switchs Then yearly pull them apart and lube them it protects the contacts.

your gonna leave the bike sit for any extended periods,get ALL the gas out of the entire system.Mine sits for 2-3 month's sometimes between hometime and I drain my tank and ride around till I use up all the gas in the carb.99% of the time I get it all out but every now and then I gotta tear down the carb and clean every nook and cranny.Also I hear that something in the gas will evaporate leaving (EDIT) gas in the tank.I made the mistake and left the gas in the tank and I was gone for about a month and a half and the inside up to the gas level was completely rusted.

hmmm. i always leave my tank full of fuel with a shot of stabilizer. the only part that will start to rust is were fuel isn't touching it. mine is down for 6 months during the winter. only thing i do on startup is drain the float bowl in the carb.

your gonna leave the bike sit for any extended periods,get ALL the gas out of the entire system.Mine sits for 2-3 month's sometimes between hometime and I drain my tank and ride around till I use up all the gas in the carb.99% of the time I get it all out but every now and then I gotta tear down the carb and clean every nook and cranny.Also I hear that something in the gas will evaporate leaving (EDIT) gas in the tank.I made the mistake and left the gas in the tank and I was gone for about a month and a half and the inside up to the gas level was completely rusted.

hmmm. i always leave my tank full of fuel with a shot of stabilizer. the only part that will start to rust is were fuel isn't touching it. mine is down for 6 months during the winter. only thing i do on startup is drain the float bowl in the carb.
I do the same as you Billst. I've never had a problem. I even run it for a little while just to get the Stabil well circulated. In the early 70's I had a Honda Scrambler (my first bike) that had bad gas in it. All the carbs were gummed up. It was an expensive lesson and I try not to make that mistake again.

Dont use any of the mothers products.

Washing, Meguiars Gold Class
Polishing, Gold Class Wax
Chrome, Mothers Chrome Polish

Microfibre Cloth to polish chrome and paint, and clean after use for next polish job.

I haven't tried Mother polish, anyone used it.

For chrome rims, I use a lambswool duster before I go anywhere near them with a cloth.
A cloth may pick up some sandy dust and scatch them.

mothers polish is usless

Do not throw a towel (or anything) over your seat and ride. About 20 years ago my brother did this (was at a lake-seat was hot-he was wearing shorts). The towel ended up wrapping in the chain and locking the tire at 65 mph. 'Bout killed him.

If you are wiping down your bike and drop the rag, shake it out and make sure it didn't pick up anything. I bought a bike 3, trailered it home. I unloaded and rode 3 miles to the gas station in town, decided to wipe glue from a sticker off the tank, dropped the rag, picked it back up and proceeded to put some deep scratches on the bike that had less than 5 miles on it. Thank goodness it was just a Honda.:p

Question: I've used Easy Off oven cleaner on several occasions to remove surface material off of exhaust pipes, heat shields. Someone listed Easy Off as a "do not use." I'd like to learn more about their experiences using it.
Jim

I have used it on my chrome exhaust to get off burned runner from my boots and rain suit with good success. Just be very careful not to get any on aluminum parts. It stains aluminum.
Jefro

Do not wash you Bike with seat or side covers off. This exposes many electrical conponents. I have seen a few ECM connectors with water in them. The bike ran really bad.

NEVER!!!!!! Take out or put in the battery with a watch on . I have a nice scar around my wrist to show for this leason . LITT me up hooking up the hot side. watch grounded out on frame and poof... but the watch is still working . i take my batterys out of mowers and bikes and quads and tend them inside. Ohio winters have killed one two many even on a charger out side

Back