free website stats program SE compensator problems | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

SE compensator problems

Ordered the comp bolt PN 4857 today; thought it would’ve been a stock item. Will also pick up a carbide bit. Very much appreciate this and all the tips and postings. Thanks to All.

Thanks for posting what you found 2006FXDI. Yours is showing less wear than mine with close to the same miles. I see you were using Formula+ for most of the miles and switched to Spectro for the last 1000 miles. I used Spectro for all my miles. Maybe yours shows less wear than mine because you used Formula for most of the miles? I'm not sure if there's enough info to definitely say Formula+ is the best oil but it's starting to look like it might be. What oil did you put in Hoople?

I just got finished pulling off my SE compensator and yes indeed, it had a good amount of fret rust. I am glad I caught it before parts replacement was necessary. I have maybe 3-4K miles on this new compensator and was using Formula+. There is no doubt this is something that should not be ignored. For the time being, groove cutting looks like a good answer.

My Thanks to Geezer or else I would have never known about this potential problem.

Wow, having only experienced my H-D Sportster for only 3 years, I am amazed how things can be so embedded into a design that should have been sorted out during the R&D phase...kinda reminds me of the cheap O-rings that brought down the multi-million dollar Challenger.

Looking at the design and photos, I would say that expecting oil "splash" to lubricate that area by grooving the sprocket may be fruitless, but only by doing so...along with future disassembly/inspection to see if the shaft is wet is only way to be sure. Maybe Hoop being in there already could do the deed and report back...inquiring minds want to know.:s

As that rust and lack of lubricant failures of even freshly installed SE replacements afterwards on 2010 models w/ 20,000 miles means the area is isolated, only the moisure condensation from temperature changes is able to get in there. :(

I would probably use high temperature marine/bearing grease in there to start...and likely there should be a lubrication groove concentric to the load bearing surface to retain the grease just do be sure as only pressurized oil would be the only way, expensive design change to be sure...JMO. :newsmile091:

Back