free website stats program SE compensator problems | Harley Davidson Forums

SE compensator problems

geezer

Contributor
I was wondering if anyone else has noticed the fretting problem on the sprocket and shaft extension journal on their SE compensators. I was reading about this on another forum so I took mine apart. I had some minor fretting making it look red like rust. The problem is that no oil can get between the sprocket and journal so when the sprocket rocks back and forth it's doing so on dry metal. Some guys have been grinding slots on the sprocket so oil can get in off the spokes and this has been somewhat of a fix. Also read Formula + or Redline were the best oils to stop this and Spectro, which I've been using was one of the worst.

Never heard of it, but im interested. Ive seen the reddish stuff before but never really gave it much thought. Do you have any pics?

Never heard of it also. Would really like to see some pictures if it is still apart. Hard to believe anything in the primary could be dry of oil with the chain throwing oil everywhere.

I’ve read a couple of post on other forums about that problem too, hard to believe that there would be that much difference between primary fluids, especially hearing that Spectro falls short of formula plus. Around my neck of the woods everybody has been happy with the stock set up so have not seen this problem first hand, yet.

Yep,

And it's the same one as the new BT Harley's.

I brought the parts to our local H-Dealer to give them a heads up.

No one in the shop knew what it was.

Sure looks like there will be some warranty work on this.

These photos are 10,000 to 13,000 miles.
Mine is the photo on the right 10,000 miles, I use Formula+ the other was using a synthetic, I don't know the vis. or brand.

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

Attachments

• Se Comp problem.jpg
    Se Comp problem.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 138
  • SE Compensator problem.jpg
    SE Compensator problem.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 130
Harleytechtalk.net,,,,,,,

Has a 14 page posting on that,,,"" SE compensator?"" a lot of members here also belong to that forum.

I'm NOT trying to Promote their site besides,,, it has MANY of our members on there already.. IT is just a good give and take on the SE compensator Problem..It is an excellent read and worth the 14 pages. You will find Many photos that show the RUST problem and My thinking is Many WILL have problems with the SE comp.,,,, Hope Harley engineers read about this find.(bad)

Photos there will also show you where and How to grove the spoke area (engine facing side) on the Sprocket Boss Face to allow a few more drops of Lube to get into the unit.. This seems to slow down the Problem...

Statements on the oil-lube thing, only a Few reports to go on,,, mentioning,,, that Formal+ and also MTL Redline seemed to do the best, Keeping the unit From fretting. (High heat and lack of lube causing friction that looks like Rust.)

Looking is free no different than over here on this site....

IF you check it out, YOU can respond here so we can Talk about it ALSO....

signed....BUBBIE

Thinking to keep My HD stock comp as it works good yet.

Good post Bubbie. I don't have the technology to post photos but Elft36 has 2 good ones. Mine wasn't quite as bad as the right one but I only have 7500 miles on mine. If you see pictures of the SE compensator or hold it in your hand it's easy to see how no oil can get in between the sprocket and journal.

All I can say is just short of 60,000 on mine I run Spectro in it and there is not one thing wrong with my compensator or any related part.

Do you have this SE BIG TWIN COMPENSATOR KIT?

Al

Attachments

• Compensator SE.pdf
    116.1 KB · Views: 85
All I can say is just short of 60,000 on mine I run Spectro in it and there is not one thing wrong with my compensator or any related part.
Smitty.
Probly nothing Wrong with yours but the ones who took theirs apart Saw the Rust and shared their exxperience with us. Then many More took the SE comp apart to look and reported the same findings.. The one using Spectro Did have a Heat and Wear problem and JUST like I said Not enough to TELL if one lube is bad/better theen another.....

There are Other reasons for the INability of getting Lube INTO the Newer SE compensator unit....
Some of them being the LOOSE or Tightness of the SE fit together that is IN YOUR bike may be different than the clearances in another.
And Yours works good AND allows some lube to get into the unit..and will Never be a problem.

Take a look over there Smitty, No Harm No Foul

Bet you WON"T read good stuff like this over at RichardS site..

We ARE still the BEST.. Many of us Like You are trying to keep it that way.

signed....BUBBIE

Back