free website stats program SE compensator problems | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

SE compensator problems

Thanks as always boss,
Wouldn't of expected any less of an explanation. Gotta' love this forum!
I am using Spectro in the primary (and tranny) and noticed earlier that Spectro in the primary wasn't dug for this situation. Maybe switch to Formula+? What do ya' think?
Gonna' keep an eye on the results of the groove and if needed, replace with new SE Kit and have my wrencher put in the grooves. Maybe the MOCO will get wind of this and Revise with a new kit.

I think it to be a Dice Shoot right now.. Remember this problem Just got Noticed a while back by some everyday Builders.
I would take into mind that the SC unit NEEDS Something..

When I First Looked at the 3 grooves,,, that Does Make Sence. Any way to get any oil into the unit after and during a ride is IMPORTANT. If memory is right,,,,,,, One rider on the other site,,,Saying little or No More red noticed after Grooves and he uses Formal+.

Thanks Glider for the Post-Picts.. I never WANTED (or thought) to see Redlines Name Included that way... It IS what it IS, so thanks..

Really, THIS IS NEW and TOO NEW to Jump and make unestablished Ranking on oils..

If you RE-READ all the postings over there to get Your Own Opinion on which oil it may serve You well..

I would go with the Less Of Two Evils and Pick one likee (formal+).. Just from Others statements over there of IT SEEMED TO LUBE BETTER and Not as much rust noticed... Pains ME to say that as I Rathered the Redline was Good there.

For Me. I'll stay with my Stock COMP. for now (some stock ones showed red on them also)...

If any members here find out anything it would be nice to hear from you..
Smitty. In beetween snow flakes,,,,IF you have the SC,,,, IT would be a great TEST to see how yours is behaving... Please.
You take good care and service accordingly... You knowing your ride, and is working good, IF yours has Red Rust (lack of lube and too much heat) MOST ALL will have a problem..

Thanks Smitty.

signed....BUBBIE

(some stock ones showed red on them also)...

If any members here find out anything it would be nice to hear from you..
Smitty. In beetween snow flakes,,,,IF you have the SC,,,, IT would be a great TEST to see how yours is behaving... Please.

signed....BUBBIE

I remember a post where the stock showed red also.

I'm still waiting on Smitty's response concerning his 60,000 miles and if it is a stock or SE. Couldn't find any info on previous threads where he switched out.

Is the worse case scenario the replacement of #2 shaft extension and/or #4 compensating sprocket after how many estimated miles? I know the fretting is not a good thing, but just curious about gestimated future results when unattended.

Just to note, the comp sprocket and shaft extension are shown as "not sold separately" on the kit install instruction sheet parts breakdown. So you may have no choice but to go with the full kit install if that becomes a requirement.

Just to note, the comp sprocket and shaft extension are shown as "not sold separately" on the kit install instruction sheet parts breakdown. So you may have no choice but to go with the full kit install if that becomes a requirement.

Did see that, but it looks like Part #83935-09 includes the shaft, comp sprocket and sliding cam which sells for $220.00 so a new kit would definately be the ticket.

Every engine ,primary and transmission part on my RG is stock as it came.
The compensator has not been touched nor will it be.
Not to say newer model may have had a issue but never seen one in real world fail on a bike thats was not super jacked up or run low on primary lube as many seem to thing is a good thing to do

Thanks for your response and all the respect bro.
Sincerely,
Craig

I'm with Smitty on this one. I have heard that the SE compensator is really built well and the HP race engines would do well to install the SE compensator. I'll stick with stock until I have a problem. Most of us don't have the time or resources to do a better job than the folks at HD.

I agree that HD gets it right more often than not but my ride had terrible starter bang. When I put the SE compensator the starter bang was gone and I found smoother take-offs. The SE compensator has progressive springs for light to heavy accelerations. I think it's a better design than what my bike came with. Now I just have to get some oil in the sprocket bore to stop the fretting and all will be right with the world again. My bike is stock 96 with Stage 1 and I change the primary oil every 3000 miles when I change the engine oil.

I was wondering if anyone else out there who has had the SE compensator on for awhile with some miles on it has opened the primary to have a look. I would be interested to find out what they found, what their mileage is on the comp and what kind of oil they were running.

I was wondering if anyone else out there who has had the SE compensator on for awhile with some miles on it has opened the primary to have a look. I would be interested to find out what they found, what their mileage is on the comp and what kind of oil they were running.

I'm curious also. I'll be talking with my wrenchers today and get there opinion.

5000 miles and using Formula + in the primary. I’ll get a new bolt next time out and think maybe I’ll have a look. Should be quite straight forward this time; don’t think you really need to pull the clutch basket?
Would like to be prepared and hear if folks are doing the grooves, tips and tricks. Seems it’s wise to mark and match up the cam and sprocket on re-assembly. Still parked for another 6 or 7 weeks!

Back