free website stats program SE compensator problems | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

SE compensator problems

While any thing is possible, the new and improved SE comp sprocket may under go an up date to improve better lubing I would bet money H D R&D gets it right JMO Remember the old FL Panheads that had a grease fitting on the front sprocket, I bet Chopper does

Last edited by a moderator:
Any thing is possible, but I have yet to meet one person that has had one fail anywhere but on the internet. I trust me I have been looking. I know a lot of HD riders.

With all due respect Smitty, are you saying the people who posted on the internet that they had compensator failure didn't know what they were talking about or are you saying that no one is having trouble with the SE compensator?

Bubbie/Hoople; I signed up at that site (felt like I was cheatin') but a search didn't turn that up.
Where/how do I find it? I think I'm at the right place cuz I saw posts by Bubbie.

Bubbie/Hoople; I signed up at that site (felt like I was cheatin') but a search didn't turn that up.
Where/how do I find it? I think I'm at the right place cuz I saw posts by Bubbie.

So did I and yes, it felt as if I had cheated on Mz Bling! It took a while but did find the 14 page report. The topic is: Screaming Eagle Compensator? I started on the site around 10:40p.m. and finished reading the info at 1:45a.m. Had to get up this morning and almost felt like apologizing to the family here. :D Really looking forward to the guru's info and feedback here on the this fretting issue. It looks like it is common not only on the SE but the OEM sprocket as well.

Smitty: also curious to know if you have the SE Compensator. Searched the threads on this forum and couldn't see any past posts about your setup.

Again, it's great being back home if only being gone for 3 hours last night!:D Thanks HDTimeline!

I will be pulling off my primary cover & comp nut this week to see if I have any fret rust because it must be inspected. I installed the SE compensator about 4K miles ago and use Formula+. It sounds like the guys who use ATF could have a worse case of it.
Now I would have thought the opposite since ATF is so thin and can follow the comp washer lubing grooves. I guess not.

I think Dr. Dolittle just did his SE comp a few months back and I am sure he is not going to be happy with reading all this.

A quick tell will be a reddish tint to the oil and particulate matter on the mag plug. I was just reviewing the install sheet on the SE comp I did a month or so ago, it does state to apply a thin layer of primary chaincase oil to the splines and bearing journal of the shaft extension upon installation.

ot.
I think Dr. Dolittle just did his SE comp a few months back and I am sure he is not going to be happy with reading all this.

Good morning bro. I just did my SE about 2000 miles ago and switched to Spectro primary fluid. I love the difference in the feel and performance even over the addition of the Baker DD7. Definitely got me thinking but the fretting on the SE as well as OEM was interesting. Look forward to your input as always.

When you get your primary apart Hoople I hope you post your findings because you will have a better grasp of the problem and can explain the problem so much better than I can. The way I look at it grinding the 3 grooves on the inner face of the sprocket will be a big improvement to getting oil into the bore. Mine was bone dry when I took it apart but I don't believe it's beyond use yet. The sprocket isn't all that tight on the journal when new and I think I'll just clean mine up with steel wool or emery cloth and re-use it.

it does state to apply a thin layer of primary chaincase oil to the splines and bearing journal of the shaft extension upon installation.

The problem is that's the only oil it will ever see. The pieces fit so true, flat and tight, new fresh oil can not make it's way in. The RPM of the gear flings the oil out and fresh oil never gets back in.

A quick tell will be a reddish tint to the oil and particulate matter on the mag plug. I was just reviewing the install sheet on the SE comp I did a month or so ago, it does state to apply a thin layer of primary chaincase oil to the splines and bearing journal of the shaft extension upon installation.

My oil never had any tint of red to it whenever I changed the oil. I thought I didn't have a problem even after I had the primary cover off. I didn't see any of the red till I had the sprocket off.

Back