free website stats program SE compensator problems | Page 8 | Harley Davidson Forums

SE compensator problems

Wow, having only experienced my H-D Sportster for only 3 years, I am amazed how things can be so embedded into a design that should have been sorted out during the R&D phase...kinda reminds me of the cheap O-rings that brought down the multi-million dollar Challenger.

Looking at the design and photos, I would say that expecting oil "splash" to lubricate that area by grooving the sprocket may be fruitless, but only by doing so...along with future disassembly/inspection to see if the shaft is wet is only way to be sure. Maybe Hoop being in there already could do the deed and report back...inquiring minds want to know.:s

As that rust and lack of lubricant and failures of even freshly installed SE replacements soon afterwards means othe area is isolated, with only the moisure condensation from temperature changes able to get in there. :(

I would probably use high temperature marine/bearing grease in there to start...and likely there should be a lubrication groove concentric to the load bearing surface to retain the grease just do be sure as only pressurized oil would be the only way to get in there...JMO. :newsmile091:

Maybe The MOCO out smarted them selves on this one and hoped for better results. I know I am dating myself on this one but we never had this problem in the old days in fact the older FL models had a grease fitting HMMM makes me think of a possible fix:s

Good call Jack...that is why historical review is a necessary part of any "NEW" design...there is a lot to be said about the good ol' daze...:D

.kinda reminds me of the cheap O-rings that brought down the multi-million dollar Challenger.

The 0-rings were not cheap but were just used outside of their design parameters. Morton-Thiokol warned not to use the o-rings below something like 64*F (?) and they sent the Challenger up on a morning that was in the 30's.

That disaster was totally the fault of NASA not wanting to delay the flight.

Yeah, I got that Hoop...after I typed it in my exuberence, being old does not mean I sometimes do the opposite of what Brian wisely recommends...which is think clearly before you type before hitting return key...yes you guys are a tough crowd.:p

Oh yeah...Hoop, did you cut some grooves in the gear? Hopefully some good results will come when you inspect sometime in the future...! :D

Last edited:
Yeah, I got that Hoop...after I typed it...my exuberence, being old does not mean I sometimes do the opposite of what Brian says which is type before I think clearly...yesshh...tough crowd.

Once or twice in my life i have said something sensible and of use to others :p

Brian

Hoop, did you cut some grooves in the gear? Hopefully some good results will come when you inspect sometime in the future...! :D

Yes I did. Free handed the 3 grooves in the pulley. For the hour invested in time, I am sure it will pay off. :)

This is unbelievable! My SE Compensator is the one mod I've done that produced an instant and noticeable improvement. Now, I gotta worry about it fretting. Fella's I've been on this site for years and ya'll know me..I ain't a troll or generally a negative person but I'm getting tired of these issues. Overheating, weak fairing brackets, crank shaft runout..it's seems non stop. Just when I've convinced myself my bike doesn't have an issue....another one pops up.

I enjoy working on my scoot and don't mind the maintenance schedules but, constantly working on it to correct issues that shouldn't arise is getting old.

How in the world could the MoCo design a compensator that is so flawed it will fail due to lack of lubrication?? So the stock compensator was adequate but noisy...the new one is stronger and, from outward appearances, seems to be an improvement BUT will fail eventually due to lack of lubrication. It's my understanding the SE compensator was installed on new bikes beginning in MY2010..were these compensators modified or do they all have the same fretting problem? If they weren't modified wonder what the MoCo will due when they start failing?
Sorry for the depressing rant...I guess I need to ride...oh wait, where is my fuel management..I know that fairing bracket is around her somewhere....at least I saved my stock compensator. ya'll have a good day.

This is unbelievable! My SE Compensator is the one mod I've done that produced an instant and noticeable improvement. Just when I've convinced myself my bike doesn't have an issue....another one pops up.
I enjoy working on my scoot and don't mind the maintenance schedules but, constantly working on it to correct issues that shouldn't arise is getting old.

With ya' on this one. Trying to keep a positive and this site helps! I couldn't believe it when this one came up. I LOVE the SE sprocket and the best mod I've done even over the DD7. Keeping an eye on the grooves that people have done and the help that it might be. We'll see. Hang in there.

I think Dr. Dolittle just did his SE comp a few months back and I am sure he is not going to be happy with reading all this.

How in the world could the MoCo design a compensator that is so flawed it will fail due to lack of lubrication?? So the stock compensator was adequate but noisy...the new one is stronger and, from outward appearances, seems to be an improvement BUT will fail eventually due to lack of lubrication.

I know I'm in the vast minority here, as I so often am, but here goes.

I think everyone needs to take a deep breath and relax. The internet, and yes this forum too, are famous for creating "the sky is falling" scenarios. I don't deny that this fretting is happening but I think the dire consequences are being blown out of proportion. No one has had this part FAIL that I've read! Yes, it's obviously a design flaw but one I can live with for now. I'm not about to tear my primary open and start modifying parts to prevent this piece from rusting away in a week. That's actually the impression I'm getting from many of you!

I will be keeping an eye on the fluids and magnets at each change and watching/listening for changes in my ride's characteristics as it pertains to the compensator but that's it for now. I don't blame any of you who have the time and expertise to have ground these channels into your SE comps but I simply don't feel it's something that EVERY ONE of us who installed this compensator need to do ASAP.

Back