free website stats program SE compensator problems | Page 9 | Harley Davidson Forums

SE compensator problems

simply don't feel it's something that EVERY ONE of us who installed this compensator need to do ASAP.

The IDEA I had about some of THIS, IS just WARNING the many who rely on Education about their Machines and modifications they do.. The SE Comp in Question, and that I would ONLY install when the original comp. FAILED.
I am HAPPY to learn of the Pit-Falls of the SE compensator and THANKS to the Many others who Tore into their bikes Just to check and report back,,,, My hat is off to you.. :hii

The SE is Easy to modify BEFORE you install one and that is what is being SUGGESTED here.. Before is what I would do.(.)
Yes a Lot of Hype at times but GOOD to Know this Problem exist..

I'm keeping MY stock Comp. Just as is for now..
I would BET that HD Does Correct this problem by a change in their Design as the MANY users Yip at HD to do so..

This Fretting problem was found and discussed by Many Good Builders on another forum and Geezer Brought the information HERE so we weren't In The Dark.. :hii

So for me It is what what it is and I'm GLAD it is HERE to read..

signed....BUBBIE

Nope - did I hit a nerve with my heavy dose of reality? :p

Not at all. I'm a bit frustrated because I spent $250 to make my ride better for something that should have been done at the factory. I changed a Mickey-mouse part for another Mickey-mouse one and still have to fix the replacement part after 7500 miles so I can get another 7500 miles out of it. I'm sure Harley has the problem fixed by now and they will quietly put the improved compensators on at the factory and never acknowledge there was ever a problem. Don't get me wrong, I love my Harley but I wish they wouldn't sell parts before they're proven to work instead of letting their customers find the problems and fixes.

So let me get this straight. ALL of you are convinced that HD engineers had never heard of fretting, were not aware that it would occur in this application, and did not do a thorough analysis and simply decide that it wasn't that big of an issue. I know we all bash HD a lot but that's really giving them NO credit at all.

I have faith the MOCO will step up and handle this, If it is this big of a problem I am sure the R&D has already seen it and is working on an upgrade, Hold on the MOCO will get it right JMO

So let me get this straight. ALL of you are convinced that HD engineers had never heard of fretting, were not aware that it would occur in this application, and did not do a thorough analysis and simply decide that it wasn't that big of an issue. I know we all bash HD a lot but that's really giving them NO credit at all.
I can't speak for ALL but I think, DON'T KNOW, this one got past them. When you hold the comp and shaft extension in your hand, it's easy to see how no oil can get on the extension bore. On the outer side they put the fiber washer in with the lines which I assume are to let oil in. On the inner side, there are the 2 machined flat bores that go together with nothing in between. The fiber washer is for wear (I think) and the lines aren't deep enough to let oil in. The inner bores are pressed together when you torque the bolt to 140 ft/lbs so there is just no place for oil to get in. I realize the sprocket doesn't spin on the shaft extension and only rocks back and forth under different loads but it still needs some lubrication, not much but some. With the parts fitting together so tightly it would take pressure to get oil in there but it's only a splash system in the primary. The oil grooves guys are putting on the sprocket MIGHT be the solution but I don't think there has been enough testing done that I know of to say this is the final solution. I do feel it will be a big improvement because smarter guys than me came up with this and it seems to be a big improvement. Hoople's endorsement makes me feel better about doing this. It won't be long before we see what Harley's solution is and I'm sure they'll find one but I hope it's made public ASAP so guys who have the SE compensators can fix there's or get the new and improved one. Maybe they'll use Jack's solution and put a grease nipple in.

geezer - well stated post!

If indeed the MOCO is aware of this and working on it, I also hope something is announced quickly and publicly. If we never hear anything and a new SE Comp part number never comes out, there's only 2 explanations:

1. MOCO was aware and already had determined it wasn't the huge problem many are making it out to be
2. MOCO examined the problem, realized it was an issue, and decided not to pursue it for financial reasons

I will continue to ride and enjoy my bike, not lose any sleep over this matter, and hope I don't end up sitting on the side of the road someday wishing I had jumped on the wagon sooner.

ts. It won't be long before we see what Harley's solution is and I'm sure they'll find one but I hope it's made public ASAP so guys who have the SE compensators can fix there's or get the new and improved one. .

I'll be watching and waiting. :D

This is unbelievable! My SE Compensator is the one mod I've done that produced an instant and noticeable improvement. Now, I gotta worry about it fretting. Fella's I've been on this site for years and ya'll know me..I ain't a troll or generally a negative person but I'm getting tired of these issues. Overheating, weak fairing brackets, crank shaft runout..it's seems non stop. Just when I've convinced myself my bike doesn't have an issue....another one pops up.

I can't see what the big deal is all about. If you want to perform the modification, it only takes an hour and a quart of oil. If you don't want to perform the modification, I am sure it's going to take YEARS and Thousands upon Thousands of miles before the fit of the two parts becomes something that makes noise. I seriously doubt it will EVER leave you stranded on the side of the road.
As Bubbie said, it was really meant to be a "Heads Up" for the guys about to install a New SE compensator.

I stopped getting the morning newspaper years ago because I was tired of reading of all the problems that were just outside my front door. So I understand where your coming from.:)

Back