free website stats program Is Harley Davidson Bikes Overpriced? | Page 16 | Harley Davidson Forums

Is Harley Davidson Bikes Overpriced?

I don't think hardly anything can be over priced. If it were then no one would buy it and the price would come down or it would not be sold.

Almost everything is supply and demand.

HD Marketplace

Being in the market for my first bike, and planning for that to be a Harley, I'm glad to find this thread on HD pricing.

I've been to several dealers and I've been watching the online auctions and this is an interesting market. First, the dealers seem adamant to hang onto their add-on fees ($190 doc fee? To have a computer spit out paperwork?!). And in the used bike market I've followed numerous bikes on eBay that did not sell due to their reserves not being met. I'm sure there is some active after-aution dealings going on, however. Also, lots of bikes are still listed on Craigslist, for example, after weeks.

Before I narrow down the dealers I want to deal with, any advice? My plan is to get out-the-door quotes from all of them and then start trying to whittle away. I really don't mind paying MSRP plus tax. But that other junk is, well, jacked-up junk.

Thanks for thoughts, stories of your deals and tactics.

P.S. One salesman actually told me that HD requires them to charge shipping. I was born at night...but not last night. Jeez.

Most additional fees that the dealers charge ARE negotiable as is the price also but they will never let you know that. After getting your best price, THEN you get the extras like chrome etc from them at no charge to sweeten the deal. You can usually get about $400-$500 in extras if you are prepared and did your homework because they make on average about $3000+ depending on the model on every bike they sell.

At the end of the day,,, I wouldn't get too hung up on price. Obviously you're gonna have a budget but that's gotta be flexible.
You've decided you want a Harley,, awesome! Each of us has our own style and 'look' that we like and when you see your next bike - it's gonna call to you and you just gotta answer the call!!!

I had my XL1200c for four years, all the time wanting a Deuce,,, but it had to be the 'right' Deuce. When I saw it,,, even though it was a coupla grand over what I could afford - you just gotta bite the bullet man.
It's only money and ya can't take it with you. But you do take the memories with you and that's what this life is ALL about,,,,, experiences and memories.

Go for it and don't sweat the small stuff :cheers

The price of a Harley is high, maybe higher than other bikes that are similar to what you are looking for. Things to consider:
The value of a Harley will at least remain the same and may even increase through the years. A friend of mine purchased a Shovelhead in 1976 for about $1800.00. He could not ride any longer due to an illness and sold it for $6000.00. You are purchasing a product manufactured, distributed, and maintained by Americans. The first time you jump on it, start it up and hear that distinctive Harley sound, you will know why you bought it.

The price of a Harley is high, maybe higher than other bikes that are similar to what you are looking for. Things to consider:
The value of a Harley will at least remain the same and may even increase through the years. A friend of mine purchased a Shovelhead in 1976 for about $1800.00. He could not ride any longer due to an illness and sold it for $6000.00. You are purchasing a product manufactured, distributed, and maintained by Americans. The first time you jump on it, start it up and hear that distinctive Harley sound, you will know why you bought it.

I just don't think this is true anymore. A Harley will hold its value BETTER than other makes of motorcycles but to say it will remain the same is crazy. Why would anyone buy a used bike if it were retaining its new value when they could go get a new one for the same price?

I think this is a clever justification we all use before purchasing our first Harley - "honey, if things go sour, I can always sell it for exactly what I paid for it!"

If you are willing to pay MSRP on a new Ultra that has a $4,000. markup then I guess they aren't overpriced. Though we would never pay sticker for a car or truck.

If you are willing to pay MSRP on a new Ultra that has a $4,000. markup then I guess they aren't overpriced. Though we would never pay sticker for a car or truck.

You simply cannot compare the joy and emotions of owning a Harley with the purchase of a mere car or truck. Unfortunately, HD understands this and it's why you hardly ever see huge discounts, 0% finance offers, cash back deals, etc.

Back