free website stats program Is Harley Davidson Bikes Overpriced? | Page 17 | Harley Davidson Forums

Is Harley Davidson Bikes Overpriced?

You simply cannot compare the joy and emotions of owning a Harley with the purchase of a mere car or truck. Unfortunately, HD understands this and it's why you hardly ever see huge discounts, 0% finance offers, cash back deals, etc.

I really don't think that they understand. Because if they did, maybe all those folks that they laid off due to shrinking sales last April would still have their jobs.

I really don't think that they understand. Because if they did, maybe all those folks that they laid off due to shrinking sales last April would still have their jobs.

We were talking about pricing. Now you're getting into production forecasts, economic cycles, and other such voodoo topics. I agree they're related to some extent but it's way above my IQ level.

Got a question regarding the "overpricing". How much would a SG with nothing but harley tax cost in the states?

Never mind, realized that I cold look it up :D
Harley's are a LOT cheaper in USA than in Europe. Paid close to $26k for my used SG

Last edited:
My brother in law rode jap bikes since the 70's. He and his wife came to my place on his bike and we went for a ride. His front brake caliper bolt broke and they rode my Sporty home. He came back the next day, fixed the caliper bolt and went home. He then went shopping for a Harley, test rode several loved em but said they were over priced. He then said he was looking at another Yamaha. Two weeks passed and my wife said they were coming over. 20 minutes later I hear a motorcycle pull up and I yell to my wife "that ain't no (EDIT) Yamaha" outside is his new Heritage Classic with bells and whistles. So much for the over priced comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I see some people are asking for a 2 or 3 year old bike, you can buy a new one. I occasionally shop the local Craig's List looking for nothing but sometimes find a good deal. I bought a brand new set of 2007 wheels with the tires for $200.00. The guy purchased a brand new bike rode it home.. 7 miles and took the originals off. The last rear tire I paid on sale $138.00 .. the new wide one for the 2007. I sent these wheels off to be chromed and when I need tires again will install the chrome wheels and sell my originals. Getting back to price lots of people still think they can get what they paid for their bike?:small3d036:

Sure they are overpriced. That being said, I always wanted Harley so I bought one. I came from a Honda VTX1300R that was just as good of a bike as my Harley. The quality of Honda is unquestionable however, Harleys are only overpriced if the actual bike is all you are taking into account. I wanted that piece Harley history and persona. I am glad I bought it and we are planning on getting the wife hers sometime soon.

Thanks for having me.

I think everything is overpriced anymore so whats the difference. I would rather be touring accross the country on my Harley then any metric I have ever owned I get on it and it makes me happy:bigsmiley16:

This subject deserves another look.
When you look even now at the cost of a goldwing, or Honda Hd wantabe copy compared to the real deal in some cases the Hd is not as exspensive.
Look at it down the road the picture gets even better for a Hd.
Compare the current market price of my 96 FB to a Honda copy of the same year.
The Honda is worth pocket change maybe 2000 if it real good shape and someone wants it. Fb will still sell for 9 to 10,000. And I have been ask may times if it was for sale.
When I bought my RG and word got out I had a few phone calls wanting to know when I was selling the FB as they checked and saw I did not trade it.
Honda will not in many case even work on a 96 and if they do you must put up cash in advance, because many that come in for work get left rather than pay the bill. Sign at every HD dealer I go to says will work on any HD 1936 to present.
Is a HD over priced may seem that way when your saving to buy one when you hand the money over but real world not really.
I am an HD rider and while there are some other intresting bikes out there HD is all I want to own.(maybe a buell man they are tempting.)
One other little thing,if you need a part for an older Honda you have to go to the dealer and pre-pay before they will order it. With Harley you pick up the phone to your local dealer order your part. When it gets their you pick it up and pay for it. (sometimes too much) but that service I find to be worth something.

Back