free website stats program H-D worth more than a Metric? | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

H-D worth more than a Metric?

There's a guy I work with from time to time that I only tolerate out of professional courtesy... Long Story. Anyway, one day we were talking about riding and what-not. He barges in... "I just don't get the whole Harley thing." I looked at him and said, "We don't want you to..."

:lolrolling I've got to remember that one!

Got in on this thread late, saw the latest new post and read the whole thing. I'll say one thing for the OP he definitely has an opinion. For an old story subject, enjoyed reading all the replies on it. Jim's reply was definitely (as Don would say) over the top. I would not want to be sipping my coke when Jim said that or I would spew it everywhere.

I like the rice burners too, my first bike was a rice burning Honda (actually I put gas in it). But as my banned friend Admiral Nelson put it, they just aren't quite the same ride as a Harley. I will aways own (or keep my current) air cooled Harley. But would love to also have the money to own maybe a Honda VTX 1800 or a 2000cc water cooled Kawasaki touring model.

It comes down to what you buy a bike for.

I rode crotch rockets for years, and Suzuki did well by me. The Italian bikes are better off the showroom floor, but they cost a mint to buy and upgrade compared to Japanese bikes.

If I wanted a "cruiser" style bike that was comfortable to ride with no other requirements then I would never have looked at HD bikes. The truth is I wanted a bike that was comfortable, looked great, held value, I could work on, had lots and lots of different parts available, could really become "My Bike," and... here is a big one even thought it shouldn't be... I would not have to explain to every single person I ran into why I choose it instead of a "real bike."

If I see you on the street I could care less what you are riding. I give respect to anyone willing to get into traffic with cars on a vehicle with two wheels and no protection. You do not have to ride anything specific for me to acknowledge you as a "biker." The basic fact is that most people riding this type of bike would own HD products if something did not prevent them from doing so. I wanted to go to toy runs, poker runs, and just take a roundabout cruise home after riding it into work in the morning. If I had bought something metric then I would have had to put up with some people ignoring me at best and hassling me at times, or worse.

Even with all that... I would have bought a metric in a second if one had caught my attention and soul like my Heritage did. So how about less hating on what people ride, and more love for the fact that they do ride. HD used to be a brand, but now it is nothing more than another Corporation with a board that will move design, production, and any other cost center to whichever country can produce the highest profit margin once lost sales due to the move are factored against the savings.

Personally I'm not a metric basher. I had a Honda VTX 1300 before getting my Harley. I always wanted a Harley and I'm happy with my bike...very happy.

Honda makes quality products there is absolutely no denying it. Their service record speaks for itself. I belong to a VTX forum where the "it" thing for some members is to bash Harley. I attribute that to the chip on their shoulder. That being said...there are many quality folks over there that respect you whatever you ride. They still welcome me even being a Harley owner.

Also, lets not forget that some of the metrics are assembled right here in the USA and that creates jobs and helps our economy. To believe Harley's are 100% American is simply not true.

I never plan to go back, but dollar for dollar...that VTX was a great ride.

I would just hate to see this forum take a turn for the worse and give the metric guys ammunition to hate us more than some of them already do.

Just sayin...

Really, over priced and under powered?

Ever ridden a VTX1800? It takes a V-Rod to even think about keeping up. But...I'm a Harley guy now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I'm not a metric basher. I had a Honda VTX 1300 before getting my Harley. I always wanted a Harley and I'm happy with my bike...very happy.

Honda makes quality products there is absolutely no denying it. Their service record speaks for itself. I belong to a VTX forum where the "it" thing for some members is to bash Harley. I attribute that to the chip on their shoulder. That being said...there are many quality folks over there that respect you whatever you ride. They still welcome me even being a Harley owner.

Also, lets not forget that some of the metrics are assembled right here in the USA and that creates jobs and helps our economy. To believe Harley's are 100% American is simply not true.

I never plan to go back, but dollar for dollar...that VTX was a great ride.

I would just hate to see this forum take a turn for the worse and give the metric guys ammunition to hate us more than some of them already do.
Just sayin...

Ever ridden a VTX1800? It takes a V-Rod to even think about keeping up. But...I'm a Harley guy now.

No I haven't, but think they are nice bikes. Honda is kinda goofy in that they only offer tourpaks for the one Goldwing model. I think the water cooled VTX1800 could make a great touring bike with a tourpak and maybe trim back that extended rear fender. (yes I'm aware you can buy them aftermarket).
And yes I remember Honda's being fast. The old (very old) 305cc SuperHawk was a screamer back in my day. It would almost out run the old 883cc Sportster in the 1/4 mile.

But anyhow back to subject, some mentalities don't really need Harleys or Metrics to bash, they just bash whatever isn't them at the current time. Chevys and Ford owners used to do the same thing (may still do for all I know). Some people are just bashers by nature.

For sound it's hard to beat the air cooled engines like Harley and some of the current Yamahas. But for smooth running reliability the Kawas and the Hondas do offer some nice packages. I personally feel that Harleys have the best style and looks. In fact I think the metrics would do more business if they quit trying to be just a little different than Harleys and just starting copying the Harley styling totally.

And metrics do supply a lot of jobs for Americans. Honda has plants in the USA although I had heard that they closed the motorcycle plant down in 2009 due to decreased sales from previous years. They still have automobile plants in the USA though.

Honda, Yamaha, Triumph, Suzuki, Kawasaki...I've owned them all and enjoyed them all, but there's only one Harley and its my choice. Rock on.
Ishmael

I will have to admit, that 1982 Honda CX500 twisted twin has me confounded. I can't decide whether it looks good or ugly as sin.

Seems like every year there is a post like this or a couple times a year. Bottom line do not worry about it. When people start to talk like that I just tell them to each there own, I am happy with my bike.

It does seem to surface often , I have owned and rode most of the brands out there over the last 43 years and have enjoyed them all.

I still own other brands at this time , and have never found the need to run down another mans ride to justify my choices .

I wander sometimes , does my Yamaha riding neighbor , have a ford in his garage or does my H d riding neighbor have a toyota ????

With the quality of the motorcycles offered today it would be hard to buy a bad motorcycle

I just wont to ride and and I'll wave to all :)

Back