free website stats program H-D worth more than a Metric? | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

H-D worth more than a Metric?

Absolutely... Except replace your Kat with my Duc.

I also own a bike that has a very, very high resale. It's highy prized and only a few come on the market each year. It's worth more now than what I paid for it. It's the last bike in my signature.

Just curious what you think of the street fighter? I almost pulled the trigger on one. I ended up buying my FXDX instead.

I can tell you this. I ride with 2 guys who have Kawasaki Nomads which I owned prior to my Harley which in itself was a great bike. Now when we go riding almost every time we stop for gas, lunch or just a break in riding someone always will either come up to me, or ask who owns the Harley the conversation begins and my riding buddies just look and wonder why this keeps happening. I tell them it never happened when I was riding metric but happens all the time with the Harley. The history, traditions and mystic that Harley stands for is what makes it a such a great bike to own. I think my buddies are jealous or just don't understand.....

I ride with two other guys that have Valkyries. Those bikes get most of the looks and conversation when ever we stop. Most people hardly even look at my FatBoy when I'm riding with them.

That said, I wouldn't trade my Harley for both of the Valks.

Hey it's the age old brand war, Mine is made in U.S.A. Ford,Harley and Arctic cat. I give my buddies,neighbors and co workers a hard time about their jap, Handa,Yami,Chevy, Dodge and toyota. After all, don't we poke fun at other states, maybe it's all in fun. I do not take any of it seriously I just fire back in a joking way.
Kenny

My honest opinion on "worth" of HD compared to other bikes is this:
You will spend about the same, maybe even more buying a new goldwing compared to a new Ultra. Or spend about the same amount buying a new Honda Fury as compared to a new softail standard. BUT - 5 years down the road when the HD is worth twice what the Honda is i'll have to say HD is the most value. That being said, Honda makes great bikes.

I don't remember ever going to the garage just to look at any of my metric bikes. I do so with the Harley. Just looking at it puts a smile on this old face.

Ditto on that. Every time I go to my show to work on some honeydo or other side project, I get distracted atleast for a little while and end up looking at or even working my bike before yanking myself back to the original task at hand.

Just curious what you think of the street fighter? I almost pulled the trigger on one. I ended up buying my FXDX instead.

Great ride! Gobs of power. Keep it in the power band it will lift a wheel in all gears. The thing is planted in the twisties, mucho lean room. I have scraped the hard parts. Needless to say, no chicken strips are left on the tires.

When I took it out for a track day it's everything you would expect from world class naked street bike. Handling par none, power on tap, brakes that get better the more you use 'em. It's basically a 1198 without the fairings.

My next serious look it at the Ducati Diavel. The reviews say it's just too hot. It looks hot. The Cycle World article calls it a v-rod/v-max killer. More HP, more torque and the handling of a Ducati. It's the next hot addition to the Ducati line with its sexy Itailian looks and the racing heritage to match.

When I rode a Kawasaki, a lot of Harley riders would say, I'm not into speed. Now look at all the mods done to peoples bikes. On the new bikes, pipes and a cleaner with a fuel modifier are the norm. Look at all the cam selections there are ,plus big bore kits.:small3d015:
I was told from the beginning not to buy a Harley from the metric guys because Harley's are turning to poor qualities control. I can see how much the issue is with the cam tensioner. I was told to run away from any 110 cu in because of problems with overheating. Come on now, 17/1 af ratio! So why do I have a Harley? It is just transportation. It doesn't define me or make me into someone cool. I am not a tough guy because of the Harley, only a rider who enjoys the road and its travels.
My other bike? A ZX12R stroked, big bored, nitrous huffing toy. Kind of a spirited ride. Pain to work on tho.

I'm not American, though I greatly admire and respect your country and its people - so I don't have the patriotic positive pressure to buy a Harley (it'll be interesting to see how the acquisition of the Indian brand by Polaris(Victory's parent company goes).
I suppose if I were to be patriotic with my wallet I would have a Triumph. But I don't..... I have a 1200 Sportster which is more than a bike to me. It's a machine that I feel connected to. I do love it, even though I've had a few material problems with it so far in its short young life. I also have a 1250 Suzuki GT which is a great bike. It would eat the Sportster alive in terms of torque and speed but it lacks the charm and character of the HD and the Sportster is a much more nimble ride. The Suzuki is also far more resistant to a bit of bad weather or corrosion conditions than my Harley is.

Would I get rid of my Harley - not a chance. Unless I trade it in against another HD. There is something about the HD that I can't put into words that makes me enjoy owning it, riding it and doing a bit of work on it - and it's nothing to do with posing although it is very nice how a Harley can bring about conversations with admiring passers by . It's not the "best" bike in the world. I don't think any Harley is. I don't think any brand or model of motorbike is. Because in the end of the day, the best bike in the world is the one that works for you and makes you smile.

For me I always think Smitty sums it up best of all:

Your ride, your choice.

Respect to ALL those on 2 wheels. Ride safe and enjoy.:D

Amen to that Brian...about the only thing I can add is that after all the years of riding motorcycles...in the beginning learning how to ride and survive was the very first things learned, the next was sharing the ride with others, be it in groups or with a passenger out back. Then armed with a full face helmet, full leather riding gear sport riding began to take a life of it's own...steadily larger faster better...and stretching the envelop of riding ability and concentrating on tactics, traction spirited riding.

3 years ago when I picked up the Harley...it revived all the reasons why I rode motorcycles in the first place... I realized I have moved away from the very reason why I enjoyed riding, freedom, fresh air, enjoying the ride and smiling BECAUSE I could and not worry about stirring the gear box to keep the engine in it's power band, full face helmet removing most all sensations except quiet zone for rider to focus only on road tactics, traction and best line through a turn and worrying about closing speed and such. Harley running a 7-8/10ths pace is plenty, scraping undercarriage and 1/2 helmet means all sensations and sounds are with the rider. When all is said and done, I like to remember the ride, not how much effort it took to do it...!:D

Amen to that Brian...about the only thing I can add is that after all the years of riding motorcycles...in the beginning learning how to ride and survive was the very first things learned, the next was sharing the ride with others, be it in groups or with a passenger out back. Then armed with a full face helmet, full leather riding gear sport riding began to take a life of it's own...steadily larger faster better...and stretching the envelop of riding ability and concentrating on tactics, traction spirited riding.

3 years ago when I picked up the Harley...it revived all the reasons why I rode motorcycles in the first place... I realized I have moved away from the very reason why I enjoyed riding, freedom, fresh air, enjoying the ride and smiling BECAUSE I could and not worry about stirring the gear box to keep the engine in it's power band, full face helmet removing most all sensations except quiet zone for rider to focus only on road tactics, traction and best line through a turn and worrying about closing speed and such. Harley running a 7-8/10ths pace is plenty, scraping undercarriage and 1/2 helmet means all sensations and sounds are with the rider. When all is said and done, I like to remember the ride, not how much effort it took to do it...!:D

Talk about serendipity!!
Today i went for my FIRST ride this year.Yep;you read it right.What with floods,huge ammounts of rain and cyclones, i've either been too busy,or not interested in venturing out in the rain.(our weather the last 5 months has been abysmal)
NewHD,I COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY concur with your post.

The weather was about 20 degrees C and a bright blue day.Perfect to raise the spirits and awaken the senses.
I went for a solo ride along a very popular winding route close to Brisbane.Through the trees,the fresh smells,the dappled sunlight,the lovely offbeat rumble of my Harley-i was smiling inside my fullface.
With earplugs and a fullface,i find the riding more fulfilling.Earplugs dilute wind noise and let the RUMBLE come through,while a fullface keeps out the bugs and the roadgrit and the windblast and the other rubbish.
A road ride on a Harley is as you say-at 6/10s i have a ball.Life is a hoot.No worries about speed cameras or Cops hassling me or getting in way too hot or having to ride too fast to get the same enjoyment---.I haven't ridden my sport bike now for a long time because it's way too much work versus the enjoyment.

Today my Harley ran beautifully.There's something magical about flowing around curves ,surfing smooth bends in 3rd gear and FEELING the engine,the road,the surroundings,Mother Nature,and LIFE! Something visceral!

Like you said,my slow-ish ride today reconfirmed my belief in the enjoyment,the thrill,the passion and the sense of freedom that Motorcycling offers.

Back