Votes: 200 12.3%
  • Amsoil

Votes: 439 26.9%
  • Lucas

Votes: 48 2.9%
  • OTHER (Please Specify)

Votes: 129 7.9%

• Total voters
Howdy all been busy planning new tear down of my bike. caught on to you oil poll. all i have ever put was syn 3 just seemed thing to do when i was at the shop never really knew there were choices (inset laughter here) so what i'm hearing is i should give m1 20/50/syn so what are your recommendations for when i put er back together what should i be running i;m hearing m1 in crank and primary and gear oil in trans

No laughter here at all,we're all here to share info.

What I have found to work well is the M1 in the engine, spectro in the trans or even redline heavy but I prefer the spectro after trying a few of them. HD formula+ in the primary or any 10/40 oil that does not have friction modifiers in it.

There are many other good oils to use but these are what I found to work well and give satisfactory results.

In your 03 the spectro to use would be the GL1 grade which is formulated for the 5 speed trans.

Check post #11 here.

Oil Suggestions For Harleys - Harley Davidson Community

:worthyAmsoil 20-50 engine :bigsmiley17: Amsoil gear oil high pressure 75-90tranny :worthy Amsoil 20-50 Prim:D

Last edited:
I just started running Lucas in my bike, It was recomended by a friend. I was kind of worried about putting something i nthe engine I didnt know much about, but he has used it for awhile. I may go back to Mobil 1 v-twin on the next oil change.

Hi to all,
I want to be sure I understand correctly on what I am going to put into my o7 Softail Standard.In the motor I am putting the Mobil 1 V Twin 20W-50 Synthetic and in the Primary I am putting the Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 and in the Transmission I put the Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum 75/140 for helical and straight cut gears.Is this correct?

Softail

Sounds like a winning combination.

Check the pricing on the Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40, it may be less costly to use the formula + from HD in the primary. No special oil is needed in there and no friction modifiers either.

Back