Votes: 200 12.3%
  • Amsoil

Votes: 439 26.9%
  • Lucas

Votes: 48 2.9%
  • OTHER (Please Specify)

Votes: 129 7.9%

• Total voters
my 2008 Ultra Classic is due for it's 1000 mile service soon. (even sooner if snow goes away) I want to change to Amsoil MCV in engine, primary and transmission. Has anybody had any experience with this oil in their 08 bike especially in regards to transmission and primary?

Use what ever oil you want BUT use a gear oil in the trans. You wouldn't put gear oil in the engine, why use engine oil in the gearbox?

Also consider when using the Amsoil the availability when on the road as compared to Mobil or other big name brands..

I've never had to add oil to a bike on the road in 40ish :D years of riding Harleys, I've had to change oil during a few 6000+mile trips but never add!!
Even my 66FLH uses less then 1/2qt in 3000 miles. I'll be the first to admit I'm the guy that changes his oil to often but I've never had a oil related problem ether!! :s

the local "wally world" here has Mobil 1 V-twin 20/50 full syn. $8.23 per qrt. and Mobil 1 racing 4T 10/40 full syn. same price?/.

The racing oils aren't the best choice. They do not have the additive packages that the street oils do. Most race engines are torn down frequently so there isn't the need for the additive packages that are in oils used in street bikes.

The Mobil1 V Twin is a good choice for air cooled motors.

Good combination. Try the Spectro platinum in the trans. I used the M1 in the trans too until I tried this oil, never go back.
I've used Sprecto at times through the years...good stuff. But you know, I've never had a problem with the shifter on any Harley. When I put em in gear or shift, my foot never comes off the shifter. I don't lift my foot and bang it down, some guys make me wince, you know what I mean. That's not to say I don't power shift once and a while. It really power shifts quite slick.

ps: I seem to remember a recall for shifter forks around 88. They replaced mine on warranty but nothing was wrong with em.:)

Back