• Amsoil

Votes: 439 26.9%
  • Lucas

Votes: 48 2.9%
  • OTHER (Please Specify)

Votes: 129 7.9%

• Total voters
I hope you remedied that syn 3 in the trans too for a gear oil :D

I take it you are not a fan of syn. oil? I just had my ultra 1k mile change at the dealer and went to syn. Do you recommend going back to conv.?:dknow

sorry -- just a touch bit slow!!! please don't kick me out of the club house!!!! I am trying to learn everything I can!!! Thanks !

I take it you are not a fan of syn. oil? I just had my ultra 1k mile change at the dealer and went to syn. Do you recommend going back to conv.?:dknow

No , don't get me wrong. I think synthetic oil is very a good oil to use in an air cooled motor, just not the syn 3 oil and especially NOT in the transmission. Use a gear oil in there.
Syn 3 is not a true synthetic, rather it's a group 3 oil. True synthetics like Mobil 1 ,Redline and many others are a group 4 and a much better choice.

Synthetics will stand up to more heat without breaking down than dino oil will.

Here's some more on it.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/oil_related_tips/1238-oil_suggestions_for_harleys.html#post10324

http://www.hdtimeline.com/transmiss...y/927-syn_3_in_the_transmission.html#post9744

Last edited:
Thank you sir!! I am coming up soon on the 5k mile change and will make sure of your info. is applied!!!!! please everybody bear with me.

I use the Mobil 1 Vtwin. Not because I think it's better than any other synthetic, but because I can get it around the corner at the local Auto-Zone at 6 AM on the day I'm supposed to leave on a road trip.

Oh, and I agree with the comment on using motor oil in the tranny. DON'T do it!. Gear oil has very different properties than motor oil. I also wouldn't put gear oil in my motor, but that's another thread, I think....:unsure

Oil threads are never ending and what it comes down to is which oil you prefer. With a few exceptions pretty much any oil will do the job. It just depends on which one makes you feel warm and fuzzy:D
I like the Mobil 1 V Twin myself.

Back