free website stats program Engine Dies And Runs In Spurts | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine Dies And Runs In Spurts

The fuel pump is not entergizeing and not working. I checked all the fuses on both sides of the motorcycle and all seem to be working correctly.

Without cranking the engine,,, Turn ignition ON, then flip the Run/Kill to RUN. The fuel pump is suppose to run for just 4 seconds (only 4 seconds). Your sure that is not happening.

Ok, I finally got the fuel pump to run for 4 seconds. The inside of the gas tank is really bad. The paint, primer, sealer is flaking off into large amounts. These items gloged the pickup filter and the larger fuel filter and it effected the fuel pump. The owner said just have thei inside of the tank boiled because he does'nt have the money to have the tank done as I suggested. What entergizes the fuel pump? Where does the wire that supplges the power to the fuel pump go to. I am trying to track it down and it would help if i knew where it comes from.
2nd questiopn. What would make the spark pulgs foul with rich black deposites on the 91 FLHTCU - I , I was told that when the bike is cold it runs fine but as the engine warms up the plugs faul and the engine spits and spudders.
Brian

I am trying to track it down and it would help if i knew where it comes from.

What are you trying to track down. You said the fuel pump now runs for the 4 second boot. There is nothing electrical to track down. Once the ECM sees a crank trigger signal, the pump will start running again and stay on.
(I assume you have a good Crank trigger signal)

Sounds like IAC motor could be out of spec on the MM injection. The service manual gives the proper voltage readings so you might check that route. As far as not getting fuel, i'd check the relay that (on my 01) sits under the seat, up by the fuel tank. Mine has gotten water in it and gave me ome problems til i unplugged it and cleaned the contacts and put dielectric grease on the contacts. Also check the ECM plug and make sure no corrosion on any of the pins.

Is there a computer program that i can load into my laptop to check engine codes, problems, check ecu, fuel injection issues on harley davidson motorcycle from 1999 to present, including buell models.
Brian

Is there a computer program that i can load into my laptop to check engine codes, problems, check ecu, fuel injection issues on harley davidson motorcycle from 1999 to present, including buell models.
Brian

The firmware in these ECM's is not sophisticated enough to do all of that. You only have 30 or so ECM related codes and most of them only have "good/bad" decision making capacity. Reading codes is one thing, clearing them is another. There are only a couple of programs out there that will clear early MM codes and they are up there in price. None of the programs I have seen to date can directly exercise a device (ie turn on the fuel pump, pulse an injector, step an IAC etc). If your coming from the automotive world where an ECM can have over 2500 different codes, log trends, has short term and long term trim valves, with the ability to pick relays on demand you will see that these ECM are very basic (at least up to pre HD Lan) and fall short.

You can read codes. You can't test or exercise I/O devices. You can clear MM codes but it is expensive. Nothing I know of will "check" the ECM like you asked. Your asking for a lot in one package.

The firmware in these ECM's is not sophisticated enough to do all of that. You only have 30 or so ECM related codes and most of them only have "good/bad" decision making capacity. Reading codes is one thing, clearing them is another. There are only a couple of programs out there that will clear early MM codes and they are up there in price. None of the programs I have seen to date can directly exercise a device (ie turn on the fuel pump, pulse an injector, step an IAC etc). If your coming from the automotive world where an ECM can have over 2500 different codes, log trends, has short term and long term trim valves, with the ability to pick relays on demand you will see that these ECM are very basic (at least up to pre HD Lan) and fall short.

You can read codes. You can't test or exercise I/O devices. You can clear MM codes but it is expensive. Nothing I know of will "check" the ECM like you asked. Your asking for a lot in one package.

Thanks for the info. Its back to old school for me.

Fuel line problems. I have this problem with my 2006 Fatboy FLSTI. Since noticing the problem and waiting on parts I have become aware of the same problem happening to a very large amount of bikes recently and over the past few years. Where can I go to find out where the recall is for this problem?

Fuel line problems. I have this problem with my 2006 Fatboy FLSTI. Since noticing the problem and waiting on parts I have become aware of the same problem happening to a very large amount of bikes recently and over the past few years. Where can I go to find out where the recall is for this problem?

Don't think so. This is a poor design on HD's part putting that cheap plastic tubing inside the tank where it rubs up against internal structure or the tank sides.

I have had to replace that stuff a number of times until I just said, "forget about it", and put some high pressure reinforced fuel injector hose in there that I got from O'Reilly's!! Fixed!!!

TQ

Back