free website stats program Check Engine Light | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Check Engine Light

Well I went thru the self help area but didn't find anything similar to what I had.

I followed all the instructions on how to enter the diagnostic session and retrieve the codes. Like someone else mentioned, I had the engine light come on for the customary time then go off, waited about 4 seconds, came back on for 6 seconds then went off. From what I have been reading this indicates that the engine light has come on because something was wrong. After the light went out it didn't come back on. I waited for another minute or so and it still failed to blink. I removed the jumper and put everything back together. I then removed the speed sensor, cleaned it off, and replaced it. I haven't ridden it since but will in the morning, hopefully it has solved the problem. Going to check the battery voltage in a few minutes, hopefully that isn't a problem, had it replaced a few months back.

Thank you,
Jeff

First of all,there's no jumper used on the 03 bikes.The light coming on after startup indicates a stored trouble code and following these directions you should be able to pull the code and then clear it to see if it comes back.

The blinking light you mention is for the older systems with a different procedure.

This is the procedure to use on the serial bus bikes 03 & later which employs the reset button on the speedometer. It's pretty fool proof and you should be able to retrieve any codes in the system. You were reading the "clear" (CLR) codes that must have the button held in for a few seconds to clear. The other is a serial for the ECM

03-07 HD DTC Codes and Activation - Harley Davidson Community

Hello Glider,

First off thanks for all your assistance.

OK, I have tried the procedures you recommended for the 03-07 bikes, I have also used the ones for the 00 - 03 bikes (that is where the jumper information came from) and I guess I am not holding my tongue correctly because I am still having the same issues.

I placed the Off/Run switch to Run
Held in the reset trip button and held it in
Turned the ignition switch to On
Released the reset button and received the following

d01CLR thru d10CLR (cycled thru each number with the push of the button)
The speedometer never swept the full range and I never saw the low fuel, or cruise lights come on. The word "diag" never appeared in the window.

Yes, I have an 03 Ultra Classic, Black and Silver Anniversary model.

Thank you,
Jeff

Jeff

If you follow the directions in that post it has to work. Make sure that the off/run switch is on run.

Sorry if sounds too simple:D
But check to make sure connections at the battery are solid, I had the same problem with my 03 V-rod giving me some crazy codes and it was the battery connections.

The ECM is very sensitive to voltage changes.:52:

Its easy to overlook.:s

Ok, went out and did it again, but this time I have video of it not doing what it is supposed to.

I checked the battery connections, they were/are tight.

If you can PM me your email address I will send the pictures and video.

Thanks,
Jeff

These are the pictures I took of the console after it entered whatever mode it is now in.

Attachments

• Not DIAG.jpg
    Not DIAG.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 88
  • Numbers.jpg
    Numbers.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 78
  • PPU.jpg
    PPU.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 86
The pics and video will only show that it isn't doing what it is supposed to be doing and will do little in diagnosing the problem.

Either you aren't following the procedure to the letter or the system has been altered or damaged in some way. Possibly a different ECM in the bike. Are you the original owner?

It's really hard trying to tell you where to go from here over the internet. That procedure is for your year bike and it should work. It seems that you are not bringing up any codes but yet have the flashing light after start up. Have you tried the clear codes section with any success and run the bike again to see if it stores a code?

Ok, after some looking I haven't been able to find the section for clearing codes. Can someone please point me in the right directions.

I think the code is still occuring, the light came on more often and for a longer duration this morning. I am ready to start pulling my hair out.

Thanks,
Jeff

Back